Candy Making Question

Decorating By Stogz Updated 21 Sep 2005 , 2:52pm by candyladyhelen

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 6

I am making candy in molds for the first time. Going to put them on top of cupcakes later on this week and I have a few questions...

It says they can be at room temp. for weeks. Is this ok? What should I store them in..tupperware?

Also, I have vanilla choc. chips to melt but I want to add flavor. How do I do that - add flavor when I start melting or after melted?

Last but not least...which flavor do you think will taste best...butter rum or creme de menthe? icon_smile.gif

Thanks!!

5 replies
Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 6

Hate to do this but I have to bump this up. icon_smile.gif

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 6

Hi,

Your candy will be fine stored in tupperware or some type of airtight container at room temp.

I have added peppermint extract to the vanilla candy melts before and it worked fine. I added the extract after it was melted, and a little goes a long way! icon_wink.gif

As far as the flavors go, I haven't tried the butter rum so I couldn't say on that. I made the mint ones for a wedding and they went over very well. I guess it may depend on the flavor of your cupcakes, icing, and the occasion. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Pink Panther

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

I have made ALOT of these candies. If I have several to do for 1 occasion I stop in to a pizza place and ask to buy a few boxes. They will usually give them to you. These are great, because I line them with foil and they can be stacked to the ceiling! You would be suprised how many candies you can get in one of them.

As far as adding flavor, Wilton sells the flavor, and a little bit goes along way as said earlier. I have used creme de methe in choc. (good) and strawberry in vanilla (also good) but my favorite --if the mold is deep enough is reeses peanut butter filling or heavenly balls filling. If you want the receipes let me know! Both are almost dough like and just press into the molds.

Wilton also makes what they call candy centers. A thick gel like tube of choc/strawberry/ect.

I have more knowledge in this field than in cakes so I love to feel like I am helping someone!

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 6

Wilton actually discontinued their "creme centers" filling for candies. I am soooo mad. I loved the vanilla one and they worked so well. I don't understand why they would have discontinued them. Maybe they will come out with them again soon...I think www.sugarcraft.com might have a similar product though.

I just checked on www.candylandcrafts.com site and they carry Cremeco Candy Fillings "Gourmet Soft Centers." They come in a sleeve the you would cut off the corner. They have about 6 different flavors and sound tasty. I will be trying them at Christmas time. They aren't available for order until October though.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 6

There are tons of recipes for homemade candy fillings. I wouldn't use anything but. I don't flavor my chocolatate. I use fillings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%