Stenciling On Dark Fondant!

Decorating By jessicake Updated 25 Apr 2014 , 2:00am by AZCouture

jessicake Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:01am
post #1 of 6

I'll be doing a cake with this pattern in WHITE on a rather vivid TEAL fondant.  Is it possible to airbrush this?  Is there an opaque white airbrush color?  Must I use royal icing?

I saw a craftsy video with Nicholas Lodge, stenciling with thinned fondant.  Has anyone tried that with an all over pattern such as this? I like the idea of this because then I would be able to refrigerate, and not worry about the royal melting (i've heard, but not experienced this.)

Have I mentioned I have never used a cake stencil before????

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

5 replies
jessicake Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:03am
post #2 of 6

oops, I thought I had attached a photo of the stencil...

you can view it here:

It's sort of a bird-cage/fanfare type of thing.  

Thank you!

LisaBerczel Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6

White airbrush color may not be opaque enough, but it's worth a test.... If you do use airbrush, apply in light layers and allow for some drying time between layers or you'll have a real mess on your hands. 

If it were me, I'd airbrush with white colored cocoa butter - it's very opaque. If that's a bit much, airbrush with the regular white airbrush color if a test shows it won't get opaque enough, then use the airbrushed white as a Guide to hand-paint.

Or, yes.... there are some incredibly nice 3-d effects by using the template as a "silk screen" and spreading white frosting (or thinned fondant depending) on with a wide scraper.

AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 6

AWhite royal icing. Never had any issues ever refrigerating a cake with RI on it.

jessicake Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 1:29am
post #5 of 6

Lisa:  Great idea about the white cocoa butter.  I'll see if I can get my hands on some.  I don't actually have any white airbrush color, so I thought I would try to get some advice here before buying and trying!

AZCouture: I did a little test with some royal on fondant and had no problems.  Maybe it has to do with the humidity in your fridge/cooler?  I'm on the southeast coast, so humidity is ALWAYS an issue.  For stenciling with royal icing, would one use a rather thick mixture, or a thinner piping consistency?  Is it important to let the royal icing crust and dry before refrigerating?

Ugh!  So many questions!!

Thank you ladies!

AZCouture Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 2:00am
post #6 of 6

AI generally use a pretty thick consistency. It is pretty dry here, so yeah, if humidity is an issue there, don't let me tell you it will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%