How Much Does A 12 Inch Cake Weigh?

Decorating By nicoleleecosta Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 5:15am by JustBakedSLO

nicoleleecosta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoleleecosta Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:58am
post #1 of 8

AHi everyone,

Would you be able to help me with this one pls? I have someone asking me for a wedding cake. She wants a four tier cake (from the pic she sent me I believe it's a 6-8-10-12 inch). She wants only the bottom layer cake(10 kg) and the rest fake layers. Would the 12 x 4 inch bottom tier weigh 10 kg? I haven't baked such a large tier before so i'm not sure about the weight.

Thanks Nicole

7 replies
Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:01am
post #2 of 8

What kind of cake is it going to be? 

There's a world of difference between a sponge cake and a fruit cake for example! :)

nicoleleecosta Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:21am
post #3 of 8

AIt would be a chocolate buttercream cake

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 8:44am
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure if it would weigh 10kg, I once made (and weighed for giggles) a 12 inch Chocolate Mud cake (very dense and heavy cake), torted with chocolate ganache filling and If I recall correctly it weighed around 8kg.  But honestly I could be wrong in that, I don't generally weigh my cakes other than when I stagger out with them to the final display and say sheeez that was heavy!

Why is the weight so important to the bride I wonder?  Surely sufficient servings would be of more importance than the actual weight of the cake, unless she is buying it by the KG :sssh:

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 10:42am
post #5 of 8

About 3.59 lbs. plus 6-7 lbs. for icing depending on decorations.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 8

I would say approx. 5kgs with the icing for chocolate buttercream cake for 12"  cant be more. tell her it serves 56pcs and not to go by weight. if you cover it with fondant add another kg to it.

nicoleleecosta Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 9:31am
post #7 of 8

AThanks everyone

JustBakedSLO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedSLO Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 5:15am
post #8 of 8

I know I am late to the party here, but I made a 3 tiered square cake this past weekend. I use SMBC on my cakes, and I know for sure I used just over 17# of buttercream alone, plus the weight of the cake. If it had been stacked beforehand, there is no way I would've been able to carry it on my own! It's a 6", 10" (hindsight, should've used a 9") and a 14". Here's a photo of the finished cake.

Hope your cake went well nicoleleecosta!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%