Wedding Cake Dummy Tier

Decorating By jennyafox Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 7:21am by jennyafox

jennyafox Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have agreed to make my first wedding cake! It is 3 tiers of sponge and a dummy tier, I'm not sure if I have to dowel the 3rd tier?  11", 9", 7" 5".  I have never stacked a cake before but have watched lots of youtube  videos.

4 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

When you say do you have to dowel the '3rd tier', do you mean the 7" or the 5" (depending on if you count the dummy)?

I wouldn't dowel the 5" top tier unless you have a heavy topper going onto it but yes, I would dowel the 7".  I wouldn't dowel the dummy either but make sure that you have a firm board under the 9" :-)

CWR41 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 5

Originally Posted by jennyafox 
I'm not sure if I have to dowel the 3rd tier?  11", 9", 7" 5".

Dowel all tiers that have something above to be supported.  (Not needed for top tiers, nor inside dummies.)

LovelySweetCake Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 5

AI agree with snowflakebunny23 dowel every cake that has another cake resting on it! Except the dummy cake and only dowel the top tier if there is a cake topper. And congrats on doing your first wedding cake.

jennyafox Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 7:21am
post #5 of 5

AMany thanks for replies. Sorry, i should have been a little clearer, the 5" is the dummy and wasn't sure if i should dowel the 7 inch! Thanks again Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%