Fondant Mat

Decorating By zefron Updated 15 Mar 2014 , 2:04pm by zefron

zefron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zefron Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 4

I've heard about 'The Mat' for fondant but it's £37.99!

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009JFKZ7A/?tag=cakecentral-20+mat

As a 17 year old, I just don't get enough business (or money!) to justify buying it. I found a cheaper version by Wilton, just £7.38 

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009WC4G2/?tag=cakecentral-20+mat+fondant) and would like some CakeCentral advice! Anyone know if it's actually any good/made out of reliable stuff?

Thanks!

Natasha

3 replies
MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 4

AHi Zefron!

Those are 2 different products, they don't do the same things.

The Wilton "fondant fun" mat, is designed to roll your fondant on and cut it, it also has a grid that acts as a guide, but it's not meant to be lifted with the fondant sticking to it and then cover your cakes, which is what "The Mat" does.

The Mat as I understand it, has 2 sheets of a food safe plastic between which you roll your fondant, and then when you're happy with your measurement, you peel off one of the sheets and then lift the other that has the fondant sticking on it, to cover your cake, easier than doing it with the fondant rolled around your rolling pin.

You can find some videos in Youtube, many people love the product, perhaps since you're starting out, it's good to learn how to cover your cakes without The Mat first, and save some money before getting it :)

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 4

I understand what you mean, I'm 17 as well, but I can't stand the Wilton mat. "The Mat" is one of the best things I own, it works perfectly and makes the fondant so smooth and shiny. I love it.

zefron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zefron Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 4

Ah, I see! Thank you! :) It's now on my wishlist

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%