I Am Very New To This. How Mcuh Should I Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By iheartpastries Updated 6 Mar 2014 , 5:39am by iheartpastries

iheartpastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartpastries Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

Your help is very much appreciated!!

9 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 10

ANo one can give you the answer. There are so many variables. Use the search function on this site to search pricing threads. There are literally thousands to choose from that can give you lots of information for future use.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 10

AThe same as WalMart maybe. Or maybe a little less if you're trying to get business.

Veronica1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Veronica1203 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

In my area of North Georgia I would charge around $60 - $70.  That looks like maybe a 8 in with the large cupcakes on top. That would have around 32 - 36 servings.  Most will tell you that you should charge starting around $3 per serving.  If you do that then you would charge around the price of $90.
It's very pretty and I would love to see the one you make.
Veronica

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

I live in Louisville,Ky.....$100-$125

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 2:10am
post #6 of 10

I think it depends on where you live.  I live in a small town and when I tried to sell a 3 tier Mickey Mouse cake, with lots of detail for $135 the lady almost fainted. People just can't get in their head that it's not just cake that they are buying.  I do my cake business as a ministry, so I try to help people who really can't afford to pay what the cake is worth. But I've sort of been hurt by this since word gets around that I do good, cheaper priced cakes, and then when I up my price for someone who can afford it, they bulk.  Oh well, it's a side business for me and it's not about the money.  I remember reading that you should call local bakeries in your area and find out how much they charge, but you don't want to undercut them. As a rule of thumb, I charge $2/person for cakes with a moderate amount of detail, and $3/person for a cake with lots of detail.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 2:35am
post #7 of 10

120-130$.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:08am
post #8 of 10

Lovely cake!  Welcome to the CakeCentral forum. 

As mentioned above, NO ONE on a forum can tell you what to charge--waaaaaaaaaaay too many variables.   There are literally millions of posts on this forum with this question.  The link below is my favorite response to the question:  

"How Much Should I Charge for my Cakes?"

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeStuff/Articles/HowMuchShouldICharge.aspx

Excerpt from article:  ?Coupon=CC2015"This is one of the most frequently asked questions by cake decorators when they begin to sell their cakes.  The simple but frustrating answer is that no one can tell you how much you should charge. 

Setting a price structure is one of the most difficult parts of any business. 

As with real estate, the price of cakes varies widely by location and is largely determined by your local market. 

Finding the right price point requires research of your competitors' prices, and a solid understanding of your own costs."

In other words, the fun, creative part is making darling, tasty cakes.  The non-fun, HARD part that ONLY YOU CAN DO is setting a price structure.  Good luck!

iheartpastries Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:36am
post #9 of 10

Thank you anyway. I know, that is a difficult question to answer. -As It was almost as difficult to ask it the right way. I appreciate your help.

iheartpastries Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:38am
post #10 of 10

Thank you sooooo much for your response and your time. I am really, really new to this. I appreciate all of your help! You all have helped me so much!! I will be sure to post pics when I make this cake :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%