I Need Idea Help, Please!

Decorating By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 12 Jun 2014 , 10:01am by SimplyCakesNMore

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 7

So my boyfriend's co worker wants a cake for her husband.  She's seen my work and has asked me to come up with some cake ideas to surprise her man with a trike motorcycle themed cake.  He has three of the bikes and "shows" them.  He's won a couple times and she mentioned wanting to represent that he's a winner.  My problem is that I don't feel confident enough in my skill level to make a 3D trike and the cake is only for a few people so it can't be too big.  I'm at a total loss because the first thing that comes to mind is to make a trophy and put it on a base with pictures of his bikes around it.  Maybe I can tap into some of you guys' creative juices for a moment?  Please--help!  

6 replies
nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 7

If he has any custom work on his bikes ( skulls, flames, etc.) could you maybe build of that? If you aren't comfortable doing a 3D cake yet, tell her. Word of mouth is everything and this cake could lead to potential customers. I would appreciate someone telling me they can't do something as opposed to them doing it and it winding up being a complete disaster!:D Hope this helps and good luck!

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:25am
post #3 of 7

AThank you for your response! I just saw it for some reason. I did tell her I wasn't comfortable doing 3D and was trying to brainstorm ideas...still haven't come up with any. Other than maybe like a trophy on top of a small round cake with edible images of his trikes around the sides? But I'm not 100% confident that it would look like what I'm picturing in my head so I haven't pitched her the idea. She is in no hurry and has no particular day/event for the cake so she said to take my time figuring it out. (She is one of my mom's co-workers.)

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

You could also do a frozen buttercream transfer of a trike.  They are super easy to do!  I usually make a few of them and pick the one I like best to put on top of the cake!

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 4:30am
post #5 of 7

AWow. Going back and reading my posts I sound like a total lunatic. I swear I'm not--the lady asking for the cake works with both my mom and my boyfriend. They work together. So now that that's cleared up (for my own peace of mind)!

A buttercream transfer would be easy if I can find any trike drawings suitable for one. I've done a few, and I enjoyed my latest one to a degree. I just enjoy working with fondant so much more bc it is cleaner looking in my opinion. I'm so out of practice with buttercream cakes... I'll look into it, though! Good idea!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:17am
post #6 of 7

Can you make a 2D trike out of fondant?

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 10:01am
post #7 of 7

AHmmm... I could try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%