Flavor Ideas To Pair Up With Raspberry Filling? - Allergic To Chocolate

Baking By MyFairDiva Updated 26 Feb 2014 , 6:31pm by MyFairDiva

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 11

AHi all!

A friend would like me to bake a cake for her daughter who's turning 10. They keep their celebrations simple, so she requested a small round cake, no more than a 7 or 8 inches.

She said she likes Raspberry as a filling, and first thing that sprang to my mind was chocolate because I like that combination, either dark or white, but they're all allergic to chocolate... so for this cake, no chocolate, no ganache either.

I usually like to use 2 different fillings for my cakes to keep it interesting, some ideas:

Raspberry - Vanilla Buttercream (Nice and balanced) Raspberry - Vanilla Cream Cheese frosting Raspberry - Lemon Curd (could be too tangy?) Raspberry - Almond Buttercream (too adult maybe?)

What do you think? Or maybe I should just go with Rasberry Mousse in all layers? - If I went for the mousse, do I need to Dam the layers and cover them with a thin layer of buttercream before the mousse so it doesn't seep into the cake?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

- Cin

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 11

If white chocolate is out, I'd go with lemon first and then almond.  You can't go wrong with vanilla either.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 11

Raspberry and lemon curd go very well together!  It's one of my most popular flavor combinations.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:11am
post #4 of 11

Raspberry and a cream cheese frosting that is half

or a quarter cream cheese and half american buttercream---so it's a lighter cream cheese taste not overwhelming... White chocolate frosting would work as well.

MyFairDiva Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 11

AThanks y'all! I think I will do a test this weekend :D

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 11

AI vote lemon curd or lemon buttercream!

sadiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiep Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 11

AI love raspberry and lime together. Either curd or buttercream would be tasty, depending on the intensity you want. Yes, if using mousse, you should dam. I haven't bothered with the protective layer of b'cream thing (but I don't think it would hurt). I do do that if using a fruit jam though, to avoid seepage. Also, mango curd would be a nice complement. Or coconut custard or buttercream.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 11

Raspberry and pistachio are amazing together, otherwise I would go with lemon curd.

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 11

I really like raspberry and almond, or raspberry and coconut (milk). Coconut might be both sweet and interesting enough to appeal to almost-tweens without being as strong as almond.

Is it cold where you are? Something minty/spicy might be nice in the cool weather (peppermint or spearmint, or apple pie spice flavor).

Are they also allergic to carob? Or that creamy yogurt (has the texture of white chocolate) that you can get in trail mix?

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 11

ARaspberry and butterscotch

MyFairDiva Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 11

AAll of these are wonderful ideas and tips, thank you so much! - By all means if someone else has a different idea, post it :) I'm sure it will also help others. I'll give them a try and let you know about the result, this cake is due in another 2 weeks so I got some window to experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%