What Is Happening To My Cakes?

Decorating By custard79 Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 4:43pm by tami517a

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 5

AFor my cake recipe I have always used Duncan Hines cake mix and add a box of instant pudding and an extra egg but lately the cakes are not baking right. There is a thick heavy layer that has settled to the bottom of the layers. I thought it was my oven not keeping hot enough so I got another one but I'm still having problems. Please help me!! This has always been a no fail recipe for me.

4 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 5

Quote:

This has always been a no fail recipe for me.

Your recipe is probably fine - they changed the recipe of the boxed mix ... Testing and experimentation is the only way that you will work out how to adjust it to your own specifications ..

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

Companies have now reduced the packaging down to about 15 ounces. They’ve changed the structure of the cake mix to get the same amount of cake with a smaller amount of product. You will need to make changes in order to get the right results. I don't use cake mixes but I know someone who does and this is what she does with the new mixes.

1 (15.25 ounce) package  cake mix 

1 (3.4 ounce) package instant pudding mix

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup of water (or other liquid if want to add flavor)

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

AThanks guys! Guess I will have to do some experimenting this weekend!

tami517a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tami517a Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 5

I've been having the same problem and I am so mad at Duncan Hines! Once I realized the French Vanilla I usually use was a smaller package size I added 1/3 cup of flour to my regular doctored recipe (8 oz. cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1/4 oil, 1 cup water) and it came out great. Finally! So aggravated it took 10 failed batches with me troubleshooting - checking my oven, mixing more, using different pan, etc. when it was their change - with NO change to the box size or the packaging to indicate I was getting something different than what I normally use. Very underhanded!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%