I Want To Make A Realistic Galaxy/space Cake

Decorating By CassiCakes Updated 20 Feb 2014 , 1:56pm by AnnieCahill

CassiCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiCakes Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 12:55am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! My husband is really into space. His birthday is coming up and I was thinking of doing something that looked like the milky way galaxy. I have seen some great cakes, but they have all used an air brush. I know the air brush is the obvious choice for a real looking space, but.....I don't have one. :(

Is there a good way to get the look without the air brushing? Or would the canned spray be ok? I have a pic I found on pinterest that has a nice look. It doesn't have to be exactly that, but that is the idea I am going for. 

Any advice would be great! :) Thank you!

3 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 1:24am
post #2 of 4

I saw one where the person mixed dark and light shades of blues, purples.....but I believe it was fondant.  I think that would be pretty!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 4

Would mixing food colours and vodka together and then sponging it on give a similar enough effect?  Jessiecakes recently posted a link to some where where they had done something like that...

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/spray-wipe-awaya-very-cool-effect.html

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 4

For this, I'd use the canned spray.  The spray is what gives the illusion of galaxies (my husband is a space geek too, lol).  You just need to use it after the cake has been stacked, then refrigerate it and get it cold (if you're doing it on buttercream).  If you spray it and ding it with your finger, you're going to see white buttercream, so make sure it's firm before spraying.  You can definitely sponge paint on buttercream and use paint brushes and stuff, but I think for this, the canned spray would be easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%