My First Cake Tastings

Business By nancylee61 Updated 4 Feb 2014 , 3:44pm by nancylee61

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 3

So, I did my first cake tastings. I must admit, the arrangement was a bit all over the place, because I had different shape cakes. My yellow cakes were heart shaped and my others were cut up square cake. I put the buttercream in little piping bags that I tied with colored twine and labelled, which I liked. There were quite different consistencies in my cakes, which I explained to the two venues and one bride. My yellow cake, from cake central, was heavy and dense. My WASC was light and fluffy. My chocolate was rich and full. And my carrot was its usual awesome. Love that recipe the best!!

Things I learned:

Make everything the same shape. The little round pans I bought (about 3 to 4 inches in diameter) were too small. The cake baked fast and got dry, except for the chocolate cake. I could leave that out for a month, I think, and it would be heavy with rich, full chocolate-y taste!! I am not sure what shape, though. When I make a square or round cake, and cut it, the heavier cakes are a bit crumb-y. Not very neat looking. 

My SMBC is the new love of my life!! It refrigerated well, and even though I had a few minutes of heart-in-my-mouth fear when rewhipping it (and then overheating it to get it warm enough, then OH NO, back in the fridge) it is an incredibly forgiving product. Not too sweet, which most people say about buttercream. And takes the almond and fruit fillings I put into it beautifully!! I am so glad I was encourage by people here to try it again!!

My raspberry filling recipe has the consistency of Alpo when put in a container and I don't know what to do with that. It is a filling - meant to be in a cake, not in a container, so it really didn't look great. I put it in a little jam jar, very short, squat and cute. I also had bought the tulip cupcake holders that are tall, and used them for the unplanned tasting. They looked cute. Anyway, if the bride closed her eyes, she would love it!!

I had on a black sweater when packing, and it dropped some lint on my sour cream carrot frosting. So glad I caught it, because it looked like cat hair!! That would have been a quick ending to my relationship with whomever got that!! Note to self - buy an apron or coat.

I gave myself days for three tastings and good thing I did. I hope it gets more organized down the line. The good thing is that the bride asked me last minute if I could bring down some extra for her coworker whose son is getting married next year. He is cross country, so Mom is doing some of the arranging. I had extra, so make up a cute little plate. I was so happy I made lots!!

Sorry for the tome. I just wanted to have my notes in a place that I won't lose or crash!! 

Nancy

And THANK YOU to everyone who gave me suggestions and help. You are really the most generous bunch!! 

2 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 3

Glad you got through it!  I think you could bake your cake in regular pans, and then just freeze them until you need them - no need to bake smaller cakes for the day.  Then just cut everything in uniform cubes, and you are off!  Maybe you could put your fillings in a piping bag as well, especially if they are thick.  Sounds like you did great!

Liz

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, Liz, for the advice and the encouragement!

Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%