Help! Different Coloured Fondants On One Cake!

Decorating By BeautyBeau Updated 15 Jan 2014 , 1:22pm by MyFairDiva

BeautyBeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeautyBeau Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 5

AHi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help....I've been asked to make this marvel themed cake & I have no idea how I'll get the 4 colours on it! Especially looking so smooth....any tips?xx[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3167818/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

4 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:50am
post #2 of 5

I've never done a cake like that but I think that I would cover half in yellow, half in green, join seams and trim. then use the other colors over the seams.

BeautyBeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeautyBeau Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:05am
post #3 of 5

AThank you :) x

elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5

What I would do, to avoid two of the colors being raised in the design (which it would if there was another layer of fondant underneath them, as suggested earlier), is mark up up the cake on the buttercream, before adding the fondant. Meaning using a ruler and tracing the four parts exactly as they would be divided with the fondant.

Then roll out a piece of each color fondant appx. the size and shape needed, then adhere it to the cake where it would go. Then trim along the lines traced in the buttercream, and remove any fondant that falls outside the lines. Repeat with the other three colors, then use an extruder for a long, black fondant ribbon to cover the seams - as it looks like it's been done in the photo. Now all the colors are flush, with no need for double layers of fondant :-)

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 5

AYou could try making those 4 colours, roll them thick and large in square shapes (get help from an xacto knife to make the edges sharp) and then join at the seams with a bit of water. Finally roll the 4 pieces together to the desired thickness. Proceed to cover the cake trying to get the lines where they have to be.

If you notice the picture, the seams aren't super straight, and they are covered with a stripe of black, which was probably painted on.

Let us know how it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%