Need A Business Mentor!

Business By ericapraga Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 5:18pm by MyFairDiva

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

I run a custom bakery and dessert catering business in Philadelphia. I would like to take it to the next level, with the goal of opening a storefront in the next 2 years (trying to do so with minimal loans) so I would like to build my customer base. I currently make desserts for a couple of local restaurants but only occasionally do custom work. I work a couple of local festivals as well.

My goal is to get into more restaurants and to get into putting packaged product into the local specialty food shops.

Some questions I have are about getting into the shops and packaging.

I know my product is delicious, and my pricing is good, I think I just need to be more aggressive with marketing.

Anybody who runs a business anywhere, mentoring would be appreciated!

Even if it is just to talk through my plans and have somebody who has been there to lend an ear!

8 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 9

ATry contacting your local SCORE chapter: http://www.score.org/

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 9

I have spoken to SCORE and to the local small business  , as well as the local women's sba. All would be super helpful if I wanted to take out loans, or open a shopfront now. However, none are really good at networking me with other businesses that do what i would like to do or with business that could possibly carry my product. Nor do they have any knowledge of food packaging, etc. 

They really only offer help with financing and business plan writing. I know what i want to do, i just need help on moving forward.

nanaskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanaskitchen Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 9

AEricapraga, you can go online and type in dessert packaging and find a host of supplies. You can also get nutrition labels made for your products just type in nutrition labels.

nanaskitchen Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 9

ATo get into shops, have a taste sampling and invite them tocome. Charge a small cover charge.

nanaskitchen Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 9

AI need help with pricing. Can anyone help.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaskitchen 

I need help with pricing. Can anyone help.

I'm surprised you asked this question. Look at post #2; Jason has excellent help on several issues, pricing is one. 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by nanaskitchen

I need help with pricing. Can anyone help.

No, sorry. You'll have to do your own homework and do the costing out yourself.

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 9

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I'm surprised you asked this question. Look at post #2; Jason has excellent help on several issues, pricing is one. 

Thank you! I was just browsing threads and I think a link to this very useful blog post should be a Sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%