Blue Velvet Cupcakes For A Wedding?

Baking By CakersbyEggers Updated 13 Dec 2013 , 9:11pm by rica827

CakersbyEggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakersbyEggers Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

I have a potential customer who wants blue velvet cupcakes to match their wedding colors. I am concerned because I have read that the blue coloring dyes peoples mouths blue. I am thinking that if it was my wedding and I was going to be having pictures taken then I wouldn't want myself or my guests to have blue mouths. I have a sit down meeting with the couple on Saturday. How would you approach this subject with them? I tend to be a pretty straightforward and honest person who just tells it like it is, but I don't want to offend them either. Also, I have never done a blue velvet cupcake and it is definitely a special request. Any help/advice you can offer would be great. Thanks!

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 3:48am
post #2 of 5

AI think you could just explain your concerns to then and let them make the choice. It's definitely a concern especially at a wedding. I'd think they'd be happy you shared this with them.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 5

I've never had my blue velvet cake turn mouths blue. Are you using gel food color? I'd make a test batch yourself before speaking to the couple - don't rely on something you read.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by rica827 

I've never had my blue velvet cake turn mouths blue. Are you using gel food color? I'd make a test batch yourself before speaking to the couple - don't rely on something you read.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? My attempts at blue velvet have turned an unappetizing gray. Thanks!

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 13 Dec 2013 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

I just use my red velvet recipe and use GEL food color, royal blue, instead of red. Make sure it's gel, not liquid. Americolor is a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%