margarine vs butter in fudge

Baking By TotallyBaked Updated 3 Feb 2014 , 4:52am by Chessiebakes

TotallyBaked Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 18

ASo which do you use? I make fudge every year, same classic recipe from Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme. Most of the time I use butter, and I can't recall a time I used margarine, but have read several folks do and prefer it. What route do y'all take? Thanks!

17 replies
Godot Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 18

AButter.

But then again I would never use margarine for anything. At all. Ever.

BrandisBaked Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 18

ANever tried it with margarine. Never intend to.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 18

when i was little i used margarine now i use butter--i vote butter now because unless you have a recent relationship with margarine you don't really know how it will perform--they have changed so many formulas for all of it--you can't really be sure how much water is in there not to mention how much of whatever else it is they put in there--and i mean there's enough water in butter as it is right--

butter --unless you are very sure your specific margarine is worthy of your effort--

geez i'd hate to go through the whole process of  making fudge and it not turn out--

so, not just butter--but butter butter butter butter butter ;)

MBalaska Posted 7 Dec 2013 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 18

I  respectfully bow to your diplomacy......:top hat:the art of the written word falls to you.

{ When life gave me bushels of lemons I made lemonade, and I had no sugar}

KimNbama Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 1:03am
post #10 of 18

AI only buy butter! Margarine is not an option in my house...for anything.

cazza1 Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 2:40am
post #11 of 18

Used margarine for everything for years when that was all we could afford.  Now that we can afford butter would never buy margarine again.  Butter tastes Better!

TotallyBaked Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 18

AThank you all (: I'll keep on my same trek, then! We're not margarine consumers, either, and I was a little shocked by what I had read, but since multiple folks were saying the same, figured I'd ask you pros here at CC ;-)

MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 18

TotallyBaked: I'm so susceptible to suggestion.  I'm going to make some fudge right now. no time like the present.

after last years Holiday candy making I decided to try the 'fudge inserts' that were on a website I use often.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/candy-making-supplies/1-pound-brown-fudge-insert/39/581/582/634234/

MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 18

TOTALLY SOLD ON THIS PRODUCT.  woo hoooooooo

my final weight of one batch of this chocolate walnut fudge is 3 lbs

so makes 4 inserts with 3/4 lbs each.  there are pretty window boxes to put these inserts in, but I'm going to cello bag and 'Food Saver' seal them.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 12:40am
post #15 of 18

oh dear that looks good--very very good--

i'm on a sugar 'light' diet-- i use stevia and stuff like that--products that have a bit of real sugar but not much--

drooling--you got me! right in the sweet tooth! so shiny and pretty--

you can tell it's cream-a-licious--lovely fudge, mb, my new favorite eye candy  :lol: 

cakefat Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 5:55am
post #16 of 18
Butter all the way!

Some people actually prefer margarine over butter? Seriously??  Where? I need to know so I can never visit these places. 
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Dec 2013 , 6:21am
post #17 of 18

Margarine on my baked potato, butter on everything else. My mom NEVER bought butter, my grandmother never bought margarine. I sometime want a piece of white bread with margarine, because I loved them as a child, but I had one about 3 years ago and it was NASTY! I had to go brush my teeth.

Chessiebakes Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 4:52am
post #18 of 18

Eh.  My grandmother's recipe, which is the same one my mother, my aunt have used for years, calls for margarine.  I have always made it as the recipe stated, and it has always been delicious. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%