Help With Taste Mixtures!!!!

Decorating By Mamabear929 Updated 24 Nov 2013 , 2:51am by sarahgale314

Mamabear929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamabear929 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 2:22am
post #1 of 2

I'm making a dragon cake for my sons birthday. The dragon needs to be black. I was thinking of using either Wiltons black fondant or Wiltons chocolate fondant tinted to be black. Then comes the problem with the different tastes because I'm using ganash, preferably milk chocolate cuz dark chocolate is too much for a 3 year old. Then I dont know what kind of cake i should use. chocolate or vanilla?

Chocolate cake with ganash and chocolate fondant would be too much chocolate.

Has anyone tried Wiltons black fondant? does it taste ok? I'm pressed for time between the day i can start and the day I need to be done so I dont think I can do my own fondant and I dont trust dying it black.

HELP!!!

1 reply
sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 2:51am
post #2 of 2

AIf you use commercial fondant or marshmallow fondant, it is hard to get it black because both marshmallows and commercial fondant have white food dye in them. Therefore, they resist taking dark colors. However, if you make your fondant completely from scratch, it takes color very well. I have made totally pitch black fondant several times, as well as fire engine red, dark blue, etc. It's really not bad to do, time-wise. It does have to rest overnight before use, though. It tastes much MUCH better than Wilton, and is really nice to work with. You can switch out the extracts to flavor it however you want, too.

1/4 cup cold water 1 packet unflavored gelatin 1/2 cup corn syrup 1 tablespoon glycerin 1/2 tsp clear vanilla extract 1/2 tsp butter flavor 1/2 teaspoon black gel food dye (like Americolor) 2 lbs powdered sugar

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a glass measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes to absorb. Microwave 30 seconds, just until it starts to boil. Immediately add the corn syrup, glycerin, flavorings, and food dye, and whisk with a fork until all dissolved. If the corn syrup doesn't dissolve completely, microwave the mixture 5-10 seconds until it does. Por the powdered sugar into a very large bowl and remove 1 cup of the sugar, set it aside. Pour the liquid mix into the powdered sugar and use a wooden spoon to stir it all together into a soft, sticky dough. Sprinkle half the extra powdered sugar onto the counter and scrape the fondant onto it. Grease your hands with some crisco and start folding in the powdered sugar, adding more as you go, until it is still soft, but fairly firm. Knead in a teaspoon or two of crisco so it looks smooth and sati my wrap with plastic wrap, place in a gallon zip bag, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Take it out a couple of hours before you want to use it, so it will return to room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%