Have A Few Questions...please Look

Decorating By aprilfromLa Updated 23 Nov 2013 , 2:03am by aprilfromLa

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys!  I need your help.  I am browsing recipes and ideas but I need some tried and true recipes and your wonderful (nice please) opinions.

My mom asked me to make cupcakes and a cake for my aunt and uncles surprise "pre wedding vow renewel" party.  We will probably have 100 friends and family there YIKES it's the beginning of Dec so I need to start baking and freezing as soon as I can but I need to figure out what I'm doing..lol.  Now keep in mind I'm not a professional and I"m only doing this because my mom asked me to since I've said not to everything I've been asked to do at the ceremony (long story).

Her colors for her ceremony are dark red, light gray and an off white (I know right) with a lace and pearl thing

So these are my plans and what I am looking for

24 Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing.  We want to put some candy pearls on top and have the cupcake liner wrapped in lace.  With a small sepia toned picture on a lollipop stick as a cupcake topper.

I NEED A GOOD RECIPE FOR RED VELVET CUPCAKES AND CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

24 WASC cupcakes with buttercream decorated the same way

maybe 24 coconut cupcakes with coconut cream cheese icing ( someone just gave me a recipe that is so good so I might make these too) we like variety..lol

Now this is what I'm having trouble with and have no experience with.  A chocolate cake with white icing, maybe white chocolate?  I am invisioning a stacked cake but I don't know how many layers to do on top and bottom.  I only have a 9 inch round pan set so I need to buy a bigger size.  Any ideas on this design would help me out a lot.  She wants to wrap a light gray ribbon around the bottom and maybe some dark red roses, not even sure how to make those.  could I buy fake flowers and put them on the cake where they won't actually touch the cake?  

I NEED A GOOD "STACKABLE" CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE AND IDEAS FOR WHITE ICING AND FILLING BETWEEN THE LAYERS

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS FOR THE DESIGN

ANY KIND OF HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I may not post here often but I love reading your things and looking at your beautiful cakes 

Thanks in advance

3 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 4

Ahttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1wBMz4wGYM-f4XKECyQEodFVwB0QHjQ2xQCeMG20bmws/mobilebasic

Since your familiar with the WASC recipe I attached a link to the flavor variations.

For your BC, you can make a large recipe of your standard BC then seperate it and add flavorings accordingly.

Both of which you can make in advance-I'd cut squares of foamcore (or cakeboards) place cupcakes on your boards, wrap in cling (label according to flavor or use different colored cases for flavors that aren't obvious like vanilla and coconut) and foil then freeze (or refrigerate depending on how far in advance you need to work).

Same with the BC, just bring back to room temp and rewhip before frosting.

Decorations you can obviously make in advance. The Chocolate WASC is very popular and yummy, I used these a lot when I first started baking-I can give you some scratch recipes as well if you'd prefer.

You can really use whatever frosting you want (as long as your mom didn't specify). What's your aunt and uncles favorite flavors? Think candy bars, favorite desserts, etc. You seem to have quite a variety of flavors already. If it were my cake I'd use chocolate ganache or cookies and cream but I love chocolate. I also love the way ganache holds the cake together. You could use white chocolate ganache or white Choc BC.

Decorations:

Are you making 100 cupcakes plus a stacked cake?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

Ahttp://ericaobrien.com/blog/2010/09/wedding-cake-serving-chart/

This will help you with pan sizes

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

I just heard about this recipe, it's been around for a while and has great reviews

I just re-read your post, so your total estimate is 100 guests, right?

Since your making cupcakes and you want a variety of flavors you could do several different things. Stick with the 9" pan and make one cake for cutting with your cupcakes, you can just buy a 7" or 6" pan to use with your 9" to make a tiered cake (which will take care of about 1/2 your servings).

You said you are new to decorating, do you feel confident in making a stacked cake? If not you might want to stick with a variety of cupcake flavors. Whatever you feel confident with.

I don't think the colors sound bad at all! Yes, you can purchase premade Gumpaste roses (colored or white) if you order plain you'll need petal dust or an airbrush to color them-when inserting wires (or wired flowers) into a cake I would recommend using a bubble/stir straw first so the wires don't come into contact with the cake.

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 2:03am
post #4 of 4

AThanks y'all! I love getting feedback from someone who knows more than me lol.

Change of plans mom wants the wasc as the cake not cupcakes. Works better for me :). She still wants it filled with rasberry so I'm going to look for that recipe now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%