Cake Central Classes Supplies

Lounge By shannonann Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 4:51pm by shannonann

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 9:58am
post #1 of 3

AI am so tempted by the Cake Central Classes. However, I am intimidated by the supplies list. How do you travel/fly with the required supplies.....cake dummies covered in fondant, royal icing, buttercream, etc.? Also, I see that the classes I have looked at were rated as ok for "beginners". Would a true beginner be out of place at these classes? Thank you for your input!

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 3

Hi!  As a new CC instructor, let me see if I can help!

Each class is different and so is each instructor, but we all make classes taking into consideration skills of all levels.  When designing my new classes, I decided I wanted to teach how to simplify stuff I see people over complicating for themselves as well as show you "my" way for doing it if you are a beginner.  I have spent thousands on tools and gadgets over the years, yet I find I use the same handful of items to make a majority of my cakes - and most of my go-to tools are easy to get and mostly cheap.  So my classes are built around that too.  

Not all classes have a massive supply list, but traveling with your stuff shouldn't be too hard.  Make sure you cover your dummy in fondant way in advance so it is totally dry and hard.  As for the other tools, pack what you can and keep in mind - 16 or so other people have been asked to bring the exact same thing - if there is something you don't have, forgot or couldn't bring, I'm sure one of your CC peeps will be happy to share!  

Also, look, I'm lazy, OK?  I don't want to fly with simple syrup (for example).  But they sell it in the cocktail isle at Wal Mart or Target, and there always seems to be a Wal Mart or Target really close to all airports.  I think it's a thing.  Or, if I need to bring frosting, for me, it's easier to pack my junky $15 sunbeam hand mixer and buy sugar and butter at a corner store and mix it the night before in my hotel then try and fly with 3 lbs of buttercream!  Anyway, my point is, as a student, I've found I'm much happier running to a store to buy whatever I don't want to carry.

If you've never taken an in-person class, they are generally designed to take into account that most people are beginners.  I've taken full carved super complicated classes in the past and have sat next to fellow students that have never even iced a cake before, let alone made a 3D extreme cake!  

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 3

AThank you so much for your reply. It's extremely helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%