Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Icing This Might Be?

Baking By catlvr976 Updated 16 Nov 2013 , 4:21pm by AnnieCahill

catlvr976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlvr976 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone might have any idea what kind of icing this sounds like and possibly have a recipe?

My boyfriend was talking about how his grandma used to make an angel food cake and then, she'd made this fabulous icing made of chocolate.  He said that she'd put it on, and then put whatever sprinkles on right awau because the icing would firm up pretty quickly.  He said it was just a regular chocolate color, nothing dark.  Unfortunately, his gram passed away and never wrote down the recipe.

I would love to try and make something like this for him, but I have absolutely NO idea what icing that might be and was hoping someone here may have an idea.  I'm sorry for the absolute lack of any other clues.

But thank you in advance if anyone has any idea/recipe!!!

12 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 13

Was it a poured icing or a thick one that she had to spread?  Here are some links which might help:

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/67398/looking-for-old-fashion-chocolate-frosting-that-hardens/30

http://blog.al.com/southern-plate/2008/08/chocolate_pound_cake_with_old.html

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/old-fashion-fudge-icing.html

I just did a Google search for "old fashioned fudge icing that hardens." 

catlvr976 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 13

Hmmm,  I will have to ask him if she poured it or had to spread it.  Thanks for the links though!!!  It gives me a place to start.

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 13

AIt could be chocolate buttercream or chocolate ganache whipped into a fudge like frosting. Both of those would give some sort of a crust which would explain why you have to put the sprinkles on straight away. Since it's an angel food cake, it sounds if though it might be heading towards an American buttercream. It's so sweet what your doing for your boyfriend! You know what they say, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!!! : )

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 13

Well here's the thing, with those boiled fudge recipes, you can do either.  You can pour it on and let it harden, or beat it until it's creamy and pour it into a pan like regular fudge or ice the cake with it that way.  Regardless, I think that's the recipe you're looking for.  It's old fashioned and it was really common for a lot of cakes to be iced with that kind of icing.

catlvr976 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 13

Can you believe I spoke to him but completely forgot to ask about the icing??   AAHHH!!!  lol!

Well, I do hope that it's true bc this man's a real keeper, and I'm forever making him cookies, or blueberry muffins, or chocolate cake.

I hope to be successful with this!  Thanks for all your help!

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 13

ALet us know how it goes and come back when you're ready to make your own wedding cake. :)

catlvr976 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 13

LOL!!!  I'm nowhere NEAR talented enough to pull something like that off.  I do wish I could though.

Hope that will happen, considering he mentioned that it could be part of our future.  Oh, he's just wonderful!!

Thank you all so much again!!

Carabella Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 2:00am
post #9 of 13

AI've been baking and cooking for my hubby since we first met and he asked me to marry him after 12 months and we were only 17!!! 16 years later and I'm still doing it!!! There must be some truth to it!!!

AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 2:16am
post #10 of 13

AStick around and practice and you can easily boo-yah a wedding cake!! We're here for you so come back and see us.

catlvr976 Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 13

I am back.  I spoke to him about it again, he said he cannot remember if she spread or poured it on.  He did tell me that he remembers it being very thin, and if you were to break a piece off, it would pretty much melt in your hand.  Does that sound like a fudge type icing?

Carabella Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 13

AWas it just plain melted chocolate? Otherwise, I'm blank!!!

AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 13

Yes!  Use the boiled icing and I'll bet you'll nail it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%