Food Reactions

Decorating By verosapphire Updated 9 Nov 2013 , 5:47pm by LizzieAylett

verosapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosapphire Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 5

OK, so I knew this would happen but I did it anyway thinking I would hopefully be wrong.

I love making meringue cookies and my sister requested meringue cookies for her birthday. She also wanted a cake so I figured, why not?? Let me bake a cake and put meringue cookies all over that thing.....

So it wasn't until I was about to assemble the cookies that I realized that there is probably a lot of moisture in the buttercream frosting and may not react so well with the meringue cookies.

And I was right :( this morning i woke up and although the cookies kept their shape when I felt them they were soft and soggy, not crisp and hard like they were yesterday.

There is nothing nothing NOTHING on-line about what reacts well to meringue cookies. I guess don't even try to put already made cookies on frosting? Or should I just not use buttercream?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by verosapphire 

OK, so I knew this would happen but I did it anyway thinking I would hopefully be wrong.

I love making meringue cookies and my sister requested meringue cookies for her birthday. She also wanted a cake so I figured, why not?? Let me bake a cake and put meringue cookies all over that thing.....

So it wasn't until I was about to assemble the cookies that I realized that there is probably a lot of moisture in the buttercream frosting and may not react so well with the meringue cookies.

And I was right :( this morning i woke up and although the cookies kept their shape when I felt them they were soft and soggy, not crisp and hard like they were yesterday.

There is nothing nothing NOTHING on-line about what reacts well to meringue cookies. I guess don't even try to put already made cookies on frosting? Or should I just not use buttercream?

there are a lot of fancy schmancy cakes that use disks of meringue 'cookies' in there to separate all the luscious layers--if it's sliced when it's first made the meringues are still crispy if it's sliced later they soften--nature of the beast--so all that to say--you're good

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 5

If you cover the base of the meringues in chocolate before putting them on the icing, then it will act as a barrier and keep them crispy.

verosapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosapphire Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 5

That sounds great! just melted chocolate and dip the cooled meringue cookies in it?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, if what you call meringue cookies is the same as what we'd just call meringues over here... (for example, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2445/ultimate-meringue).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%