Baking Powder Vs Baking Soda

Decorating By cookoo4cakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 4:07am by MBalaska

cookoo4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookoo4cakes Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:33am
post #1 of 12

AHi,

I was hoping someone could explain to me the difference between baking soda and baking powder. I know one is acidic and the other is 4 times more potent.

What I don't understand is when to use which one, how much and why some recipes call for one and some for both!

Thanks so much!!

11 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:40am
post #2 of 12

ABaking powder is just baking soda plus an acidic ingredient to activate the leavening reaction. If your recipe already has enough of an acidic ingredient you can use baking soda, otherwise you'll want to use baking powder.

Recipes that call for both usually have a small amount of acidic ingredients, so you can use some baking soda to react with the existing acid but if more leavening is needed you'd have to add baking powder as well.

More info: http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/bakingdesserts/a/Baking-Soda-And-Baking-Powder.htm

cookoo4cakes Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:55am
post #3 of 12

AThanks! I'm making a white cake. It has 2 cups of buttermilk. How much of each would you suggest I use?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 12

You are asking for a scientific answer to a question with unknown variables. "Adjusting" a recipe is part trial and knowledge....you don't seem ready for that level of baking based on your opening question.

cookoo4cakes Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 6:47am
post #5 of 12

AThanks Stitches! I believe a more appropriate response would have been to ask what the other ingredients are and how much. I obviously am not ready. Hence the opening question. Thanks again, Stater of the Obvious! I'm looking for help. Not someone to throw my lack of experience in my face :)

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 7:25am
post #6 of 12

I don't believe she threw your lack of experience in your face.

She was merely suggesting that if you don't have a lot of recipe development experience and knowledge (ie the function of ingredients etc) then you would be best advised to follow an already tested recipe.  You say the white cake you are making has buttermilk..... you are obviously following a recipe - what does it have .... baking soda?  if so - use that

Baking soda and baking powder are not interchangeable in recipes

cookoo4cakes Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 8:06am
post #7 of 12

AI'm not following a recipe. I was trying to come up with one, specifically to learn functions of ingredients and how they react with each other. That's why I asked about baking soda/powder. I've seen recipes that have buttermilk that call for baking soda and some with buttermilk that call for powder. I know they're not interchangeable. But I'm not sure when to use which one and how much. Buttermilk would be the only acidic ingredient.

I know my level of baking is close to non existent. I was hoping someone would be able to help me.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 8:56am
post #8 of 12

If you are just learning how to bake I think most everyone on this site would advise you to follow a basic recipe.  I've never heard of anyone learning how to bake by inventing recipes 8O.  Once you master the basics and can produce a successful cake then perhaps you can experiment a bit with flavors, but the basic structure of a cake can only be modified so much before something bad happens.  The recipe tells you exactly when and how much to use of which ingredients, there's no need to guess!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookoo4cakes 
I know my level of baking is close to non existent. I was hoping someone would be able to help me.

Thank-you ApplegumPam, you were correct about my intent in my earlier post....thanks for explaining better than I did.

If you want to learn about the importance of ingredients in a baking recipe start with a recipe you've already baked and know well. Than begin experimenting with that recipe. Every time you bake that recipe change the ingredients and proportions of them and you will see how ingredients effect each other.

OR if you seriously want help, there are millions of baking books that explain the roles of each ingredient in the beginning of their books.

If you want someone to personally help you, I suggest taking a baking course where the teacher has a lot of time to individually coach you.

cookoo4cakes Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 12

AThank you for your suggestions. I will find a recipe and change it around.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 12:27am
post #11 of 12

A

Original message sent by cookoo4cakes

Thank you for your suggestions. I will find a recipe and change it around.

I'd suggest that you get a copy of the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum. It has recipes, then an explanation of why the recipe works the way that it does, so you can figure out what to adjust if you need to adjust something. Changing things around in recipes without knowing why you're changing it isn't going to teach you anything and will probably just be confusing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 4:07am
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Baking powder is just baking soda plus an acidic ingredient to activate the leavening reaction. If your recipe already has enough of an acidic ingredient you can use baking soda, otherwise you'll want to use baking powder.

Recipes that call for both usually have a small amount of acidic ingredients, so you can use some baking soda to react with the existing acid but if more leavening is needed you'd have to add baking powder as well.

More info:
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/bakingdesserts/a/Baking-Soda-And-Baking-Powder.htm

Kudos Jason_kraft and Stitches:  exacting answers to the question.

decorating is an art, baking is a science; and they both take an enormous amount of time, money, energy, training, education, and hands-on practical experience in the kitchen. IMO.

cookoo4cakes: you were helped by receiving the perfect and the only correct answers to your questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%