Had To Cancel Order Want To Make Up For It....how????

Business By love2bake4u Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm by MimiFix

love2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2bake4u Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 4:09am
post #1 of 8

AThis week I had someone call me 3 days before an event and I was happy to take the order as I didn't have one for that day. I baked the cakes the next day and froze until the night before. I was feeling bad and pushed through as much as possible. The night before I made the icing, took out the fondant, and removed cakes from freezer to start stacking. At this point I began to throw up horribly. My body ached like nothing I had ever felt before and I had my husband call and lt her know that I couldn't finish the cake. She was furious and I feel even worse now as I have NEVER in 15 years cancelled a cake. How can I make this up to my customer ??? Has anyone ever had this happen before? thank in advance:-)

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 8

She was furious that you were sick? She ordered a last-minute cake? This woman is not a customer to be courted, she's trouble waiting to happen again. 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 8

AI agree with Mimi. Trouble.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 8

In addition to her lack of compassion, why on earth would she even want to eat a cake made by someone who is ill?  She should have thanked you.

love2bake4u Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 8

ALadies, thank you so much for the support. I was thinking of making her a half dozen cupcakes to say I'm sorry for the change of events at last minute. But am second guessing that now. I probably could have taken some nausea meds and push thru (possibly ended up in the hospital) but I could not have given her the cake due to a guilty conscience on my part for doing it will possibly being contagious. You ladies ROCK and totally validate what others are going through.....thanks!!!!!

love2bake4u Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 8

AMimi, where do you get your supplies? your boxes, paper cake pans, parchment, and things like that?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 8

Can I throw another idea in the mix? Are there any other decorators in your area that you can network with so if a situation like this happens again you have a Plan B already in place.  Maybe a mum who is strictly a hobbyist but is willing to back you up when necessary and has no interest in starting her own business just enjoys decorating.  You will not make any money on the order as you will have to pay her, but at least your reputation will be intact.  I know some people will be threatened by this idea, but if you choose the right person you can have an assistant rather than someone who is going to steal your customers, not everyone wants to run a business but lots of people would enjoy the occasional professional job.

First rule of business: 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers so retain that 20%.  It doesn't matter that it was a last minute order, you accepted it.  Make the cupcakes, go and explain the situation to her.  It is not a matter of "if" things go wrong, but "when" and it comes down to how you handle the bad situations as to whether your customer talks negatively or positively about you to her circle of friends.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 8

papermart, brp, nashville wraps, novacart usa, but mostly my local paper goods supplier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%