To Take The Order Or To Not Take The Order?

Business By CONFECTIONERIE Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 2:00am by liz at sugar

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:42am
post #1 of 27

I have a VERY SMALL cake/sweets company, just barely started really.  I still work full time at another job selling furniture.

I recently spent a lot of time working on a candy bar.  It's a clove caramel bar filled with chunks of sponge toffee and partially dipped/drizzled in chocolate.

I posted a picture on my company's Facebook page with caption, "Six for $18.00, message me if interested."  My boss' wife commented saying that she'd like six for a Halloween Dinner Party that she's throwing for all the staff but she never sent me a message.

The party is this Sunday and I don't know if I should make them or not.  I'm already bringing 48 mini cupcakes (that I'm not being paid for) but I just don't know if I should make and bring the candy bars.  Frankly I'm annoyed that she never messaged me.  I'm trying to take my business seriously and I would have liked to fill out an order form and get paid in full before making the candy bars.  I also don't know if my personal annoyances with her in the workplace are what's getting in the way of me wanting to make the bars.

So do I suck it up and make the bars?

OR

I don't make the bars and tell her that she never messaged me?

OR

Should I message her asking if she were still interested in getting the bars and that I'd do a one time exception for not getting paid in full before the date?

Haaaalp!

26 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:46am
post #2 of 27

Send her an invoice - let her know that if you receive payment in time, you'll be able to fill her order.

Liz

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:53am
post #3 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Send her an invoice - let her know that if you receive payment in time, you'll be able to fill her order.

Liz

Good idea.  Is it unprofessional to Facebook her an invoice?  I'm not sure how often she checks her email.  Her husband (my boss) will be at work tomorrow so do you think I should give it to him in an envelope with her name on it?

Also -- She's French Canadian and has a different manner set that I do.  She gets offended very easily.  I don't want to appear rude or pushy.  

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 3:53am
post #4 of 27

AMaybe commenting is the same as messaging to her. Either way, she requested some. I agree with Liz that you should give her the invoice for them. Maybe call her to confirm.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:55am
post #5 of 27

A

Original message sent by CONFECTIONERIE

Is it unprofessional to Facebook her an invoice?  

Also -- She's French Canadian and has a different manner set that I do.  She gets offended very easily.  I don't want to appear rude or pushy.  

Doing business on Facebook is always unprofessional.

The fact that she has a different manner set and lets herself become easily offended is more than likely NOT due to her being French Canadian.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:57am
post #6 of 27

A

Good idea.  Is it unprofessional to Facebook her an invoice?  I'm not sure how often she checks her email.  Her husband (my boss) will be at work tomorrow so do you think I should give it to him in an envelope with her name on it?

Personally I think it's unprofessional to conduct business via FB messages. If I were you I would send her an email with the invoice, then send her a quick FB message letting her know that the invoice has been sent and the balance is due on X date.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:13am
post #7 of 27

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Personally I think it's unprofessional to conduct business via FB messages. If I were you I would send her an email with the invoice, then send her a quick FB message letting her know that the invoice has been sent and the balance is due on X date.

That's a wonderful idea. Thank you!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 27

A

Original message sent by therealmrsriley

Maybe commenting is the same as messaging to her. Either way, she requested some. I agree with Liz that you should give her the invoice for them. Maybe call her to confirm.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 27

AShe left a note on my desk double checking that I was going to do the order so I'm definitely going to do it. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by CONFECTIONERIE 

She left a note on my desk double checking that I was going to do the order so I'm definitely going to do it. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

oh good--hope that goes well for you

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 27

AWhat a mess.... This is why I avoid doing business with friends, family etc. Just give them to her for free or tell her you don't have time because you're so slammed with other orders

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

What a mess.... This is why I avoid doing business with friends, family etc. Just give them to her for free or tell her you don't have time because you're so slammed with other orders

bettin' you don't see a penny & bosses wife expects a perk for entitlement.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 27

AI'll bet you don't see any money at all.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 27

AI think it's a little unprofessional for someone to express interest in your product and you fail to follow up on it. I think she took the first step and it was up to you to take the next.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I think it's a little unprofessional for someone to express interest in your product and you fail to follow up on it. I think she took the first step and it was up to you to take the next.

Hmm, I guess I never thought of it that way.  But definitely a good point.  I guess it is up to me to make sure that I'm properly promoting/following through on my product.  Thanks for pointing that out.

And my boss has been super helpful with me starting a business.  He used to run a gourmet food shop and he's given me a lot of tips/let me borrow books, and he's even letting me jump in on our store's booth at the next bridal show in town so I think they'll actually pay me.  Fingers crossed anyways!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 12:40am
post #16 of 27

Money is due prior to delivery...even if it's my Momma placing the order! LOL...j/k I don't charge family.

howsweet Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:22am
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONFECTIONERIE 

Hmm, I guess I never thought of it that way.  But definitely a good point.  I guess it is up to me to make sure that I'm properly promoting/following through on my product.  Thanks for pointing that out.

And my boss has been super helpful with me starting a business.  He used to run a gourmet food shop and he's given me a lot of tips/let me borrow books, and he's even letting me jump in on our store's booth at the next bridal show in town so I think they'll actually pay me.  Fingers crossed anyways!

What did I miss - you just ignored her request?

I'm not sure what jump in on means, but it sounds to me like these are people you should giving free cake to. All this over something you only charge $18 to make? For me, that's like making someone half a dozen undecorated cupcakes. Why wouldn't you just do it? These are not your usual freeloaders, but instead it's an investment in good will.

Obviously, the line has to be drawn somewhere, but this is a tiny order.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:29am
post #18 of 27

I would not do anything free for my boss. He is running a business to be profitable, he needs to understand that she is trying to do the same thing. Plus it sounds like he is supportive of her business and no one asked for anything for free or even discounted. Just from what the OP said I am betting she will be paid.

I have some great customers in both my cake stand business and with my cakes that even when I offered discounts they said no. They understood that I needed to get my business off the ground and were very supportive. To date they are still my best customers and appreciate my talents.

howsweet Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:08am
post #19 of 27

It would help to know what the boss "letting me jump in on our store's booth at the next bridal show in town" means. I am speaking partly from experience...I got a lady disgusted with me and lost out on a tit for tat situation when one of my cakes was on national tv - they wound up not giving me credit for the cake. I'd been doing cakes for  that sports network for several years and I have a feeling I'm now on the blacklist of who not to call when they're in town. But I thought I was being businesslike.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 4:02am
post #20 of 27

A

Original message sent by howsweet

It would help to know what the boss "letting me jump in on our store's booth at the next bridal show in town" means. I am speaking partly from experience...I got a lady disgusted with me and lost out on a tit for tat situation when one of my cakes was on national tv - they wound up not giving me credit for the cake. I'd been doing cakes for  that sports network for several years and I have a feeling I'm now on the blacklist of who not to call when they're in town. But I thought I was being businesslike.

I'm chipping in a small portion of the bridal show booth rental free and providing mini cupcakes. I get to hand out business cards/coupons. So it's win-win for both of us. My boss is a great guy and I was never really worried about them not paying.

I am also bringing cupcakes to the staff event originally referenced. Those I'm definitely not charging for. The candy bars are just a little more complicated and take some more time.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 4:03am
post #21 of 27

A

I'm chipping in a small portion of the bridal show booth rental [B]free[/B] and providing mini cupcakes. I get to hand out business cards/coupons. So it's win-win for both of us. My boss is a great guy and I was never really worried about them not paying.

I am also bringing cupcakes to the staff event originally referenced. Those I'm definitely not charging for. The candy bars are just a little more complicated and take some more time.

Fee*

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 11:46am
post #22 of 27

I'm a little confused by this and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I read it as your boss' wife placed an order with your business to supply the chocolate bars you advertised on your facebook page. The fact of who she is has nothing to do with this business transaction, I read it to mean she was trying to help you get your business going by placing an order. As you said your boss and his wife have been helpful and supportive in trying to get your business off the ground.

I'm with Jason on this, we get a lot of contacts via fb and have a strict policy of not supplying quotes or taking orders via fb.  We contact the person making the enquiry and then have a verbal conversation or email follow up.  Depending on how complex or simple the order is, this may involve a face to face meeting for a wedding cake or in the case of an order like yours, a phone conversation or email confirming the order would be enough. It is an $18 order, we would not require pre payment for something so small, but I understand starting out this maybe a lot of money to lose out on.

If you are genuine about running a business treat this order in a business like manner.  A simple, polite and friendly conversation would clarify this situation and would be what a business owner would do, not tying yourself up in knots.  You may find this next sentence a little offensive, but I promise you I'm not intending it to be - shoulders back, chin up, suck it up and contact your customer to clarify and confirm this order :)

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #23 of 27

A

Original message sent by 810whitechoc

I'm a little confused by this and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I read it as your boss' wife placed an order with your business to supply the chocolate bars you advertised on your facebook page. The fact of who she is has nothing to do with this business transaction, I read it to mean she was trying to help you get your business going by placing an order. As you said your boss and his wife have been helpful and supportive in trying to get your business off the ground.

I'm with Jason on this, we get a lot of contacts via fb and have a strict policy of not supplying quotes or taking orders via fb.  We contact the person making the enquiry and then have a verbal conversation or email follow up.  Depending on how complex or simple the order is, this may involve a face to face meeting for a wedding cake or in the case of an order like yours, a phone conversation or email confirming the order would be enough. It is an $18 order, we would not require pre payment for something so small, but I understand starting out this maybe a lot of money to lose out on.

If you are genuine about running a business treat this order in a business like manner.  A simple, polite and friendly conversation would clarify this situation and would be what a business owner would do, not tying yourself up in knots.  You may find this next sentence a little offensive, but I promise you I'm not intending it to be - shoulders back, chin up, suck it up and contact your customer to clarify and confirm this order :)

Thanks for being honest! I'm still new to this, and pretty young, so I do appreciate the bluntness of your reply. I did end up making the candy bars and contacting the customer. :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:29pm
post #24 of 27

i think our op is 18 or 19 and i love this thread--she needs us. ;)

i would just like to mention that all your clients, op, can find these threads too and they might not be especially understanding of all of our 'forthright' sometimes no holds barred commentary at times if you kwim. so consider asking your questions generically or something ;)

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 10:48pm
post #25 of 27

Good Luck with your situation, if you can handle this in a professional manner, dealing with total strangers will be a piece of cake (gulp... sorry:D)

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 11:12pm
post #26 of 27

A

Original message sent by 810whitechoc

Good Luck with your situation, if you can handle this in a professional manner, [B]dealing with total strangers will be a piece of cake (gulp... sorry:D )[/B]

I sell furniture full time and I actually find strangers MUCH easier to deal with.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 2:00am
post #27 of 27

This is off topic to the OP - your website looks great for just starting out!  And I love your flavor combinations - very sophisticated!  You are going to do great!

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%