Have I Ruined My Fondant?

Decorating By kkmcmahan Updated 18 Oct 2013 , 7:33pm by -K8memphis

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making an open book cake that will be sitting on top of another cake for this weekend.  It is for my sister for Pastor appreciation week.  I mixed gold luster dust with clear vanilla extract to paint the page edges.  This is a technique that I use often on flowers or painting small designs and it dries quickly.  I must have put too much on the book because the fondant is very wet and sticky and is not showing signs of drying.

I've set it aside for now to see if it will dry.  Do you think it will dry out (it has been an hour already and is still sticky) or is there something I can do to help it along?  Or is it time to start over. :(

4 replies
kkmcmahan Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

Just to add, I painted the fondant shortly after covering the cake so it was fresh.  Usually it has sat out for awhile before I am painting it so it has had time to dry a bit itself.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

give it some time and maybe a little fan--

if it's just sticky and the fondant's not wilting or anything --you're fine--

meringue buttercreams stay 'sticky' fwiw

kkmcmahan Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I won't loose hope than and will wait it out a bit longer.  If it is still sticky when I check later I will try putting a fan on it.  That just might do the trick.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

why can't it be sticky--

ok-- just thought of this--i was fortunate to have my nephew help me paint the glass cake stands for my last cake-- i showed him how to do it and he did it his way (teenagers ;) and this same composition of gold + vanilla (applied way too thick -- cough cough) stayed sticky even overnight--but it finally tightened up and dried

;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%