Help!! Cream Chesse Icing And Fondnat..night Ahead Prep?

Decorating By uncchick1205 Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 5:04pm by uncchick1205

uncchick1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uncchick1205 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for my daughters birthday. In the past...I have used buttercream icing and MMF. I always make my fondant a couple of days before I do my cakes and keep fondant in fridge air tight and sealed for up to 3 months and have had no problems. I take the fondant out of the fridge the night before I do a cake to let it come to room temperature before I apply it to my cake. In the past, I have put the buttercream icing (straight from the fridge, Prepared the night before) onto the cake then put fondant over. When doing this, the buttercream would melt and cause the fondant to disintegrate in a since. After talking to others, apparently fondant and icing both have to come to room temperature before putting on icing onto the cake and then applying the fondant so this is what I was going to do. However, I plan to make and decorate cake by Friday afternoon to have it ready for 1pm sat. and eat by 3pm sat. The only concern I have is with the cream cheese icing.. How long will it be ok to sit out. Will it be fine from 10pm Friday night till 3pm Saturday with the cream cheese icing? I was also advised to maybe ice the cake with cream cheese icing between cake layers then ice the outside and tops of cake with Buttercream for the fondant to stick to...so confused on what to do!!! Please help!

2 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 3

AGo to the Texas Cottage Food Law website. The administrator has kindly put up a cream cheese bc recipe that does not need to be refrigerated.

It's almost a universal truth that using cream cheese frosting under fondant is asking for trouble unless you have lots of experience working with it. If you already have issues with basic bc, I would suggest using the cream cheesefrosting as the filling then cover the cake with the BC you're used to working with.

uncchick1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uncchick1205 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 3

yeah thats what I was thinking too. Even with using the cream cheese as a filler...I was still uncertain weather it was safe enough. Thanks for the advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%