How Much Should I Charge For A Cake?

Decorating By craftycroissant Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm by rica827

craftycroissant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycroissant Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

Someone contacted me about making them a cake. The cake would be a two layer 13x9 cake, frosting only (frosting as a filling, too). It would be decorated like a football field. I don't really know how much I should charge. I was thinking $50-60 but at the same time I feel like that is too much.

I am not a certified baker. I am really just messing around and learning so I can start a real business later in life. I'm in high school and the person who wants the cake is my business teacher. She was going to make the cake herself but she thought it would be fun to have one of her students make it. She knows I am not certified.

So what do y'all think?

4 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 5

AYour local laws may prohibit you from charging anything, even just a friend or teacher. This may also be some kind of breach ethically for your teacher, they probably shouldn't have really put you in this position.

That said, it's up to you what you charge. Do you want to just be reimbursed for ingredients, make some money for your time or make profit too? When it comes to charging people you know and you're not running a business there is no rule other than figure out what you're comfortable making and asking for.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:28am
post #3 of 5

A20-30 bucks ought to do it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:41am
post #4 of 5

ALook around at the numerous pricing threads and see what you come up with. Sounds like something the grocery store would make, rather than a custom cake, so make sure your person doesn't have a price like that in mind.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Sounds like something the grocery store would make, rather than a custom cake

Agreed. I work in a grocery store and a cake like this would fall under normal pricing, which is $16. A 9x13 is a quarter sheet and a football field is nothing difficult. Granted I'm in a different market than you, but if you're just in it for fun, then just do it for fun and don't take her money.

I'll also ditto what someone else said about charging when you're not a legal business - that can be a big no-no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%