Cake Topper Idea

Decorating By CakesByMaryJay Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm by CakesByMaryJay

CakesByMaryJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByMaryJay Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am making a wedding cake next month and the bride is on a budget and wants a very simply iced cake so we've agreed on plain fondant with a ribbon around each tier and a bow in the corner of each tier. She was going to get a topper of her own as a keepsake but has now come back to me saying she "couldn't find anything nice" and asked me to "do whatever"!!!!!!!!!

Well now I am stumped as to what to do. Obviously my price reflects a very simply iced cake so I don't want to spend hours making a little floral topper and I'm definitely not buying something to put on it so can anyone make a suggestion as to what would look pretty but wouldn't take hours or detailed work to suit a cake as described above. I'm a bit angry but don't want to rock the boat as she's a friend of a friend.

By the way it's 3 tier with 2 square and a double height round on top.

Thanks in Advance for any suggestions!

M

7 replies
aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 8

AI can't give expert advice because I'm no cake decorator and of course I don't know how hard it is to do things but I see the cake that you are describing and I can picture just a pretty letter of the couple's last name. I think that would look pretty on top of the cake.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByMaryJay 

Hi,

I am making a wedding cake next month and the bride is on a budget and wants a very simply iced cake so we've agreed on plain fondant with a ribbon around each tier and a bow in the corner of each tier. She was going to get a topper of her own as a keepsake but has now come back to me saying she "couldn't find anything nice" and asked me to "do whatever"!!!!!!!!!

Well now I am stumped as to what to do. Obviously my price reflects a very simply iced cake so I don't want to spend hours making a little floral topper and I'm definitely not buying something to put on it so can anyone make a suggestion as to what would look pretty but wouldn't take hours or detailed work to suit a cake as described above. I'm a bit angry but don't want to rock the boat as she's a friend of a friend.

By the way it's 3 tier with 2 square and a double height round on top.

Thanks in Advance for any suggestions!

M

Dear Bride,

I'm sorry you couldn't find a topper that you like for your wedding cake.
I would be happy to provide/create a topper of (flowers, initials, halloween candy) to top the cake. However, the final price will change to reflect the extra time and materials used to make/buy/shop for the design you approve, due by x date.
Thank you
M
BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 8

You could make a "cake boss" bow, which is just a simple bow with tails, or you could make a loopy bow. The first one takes barely any time and the second one takes a little more time. You are making bows anyway, just make the topper a littler glitzier....probably not a word!!!!! Add some glitter of some sort, or paint it gold or silver after it dries. Use a flower or a broach if you choose the simple one.

CakesByMaryJay Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the replies. Love the sound of the initial of the surname on top and would take next to no time at all. I was thinking of a loopy bow on top but wondered would it look well with the smaller bows on the other tiers?

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 8

AA rose?

aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 1:37am
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by CakesByMaryJay

Thanks for the replies. Love the sound of the initial of the surname on top and would take next to no time at all. I was thinking of a loopy bow on top but wondered would it look well with the smaller bows on the other tiers?

I hope to see a picture

CakesByMaryJay Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Will post a picture when I'm done! It will be next month. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%