Chocolate Wasc - Do I Need To Add The Extra Sugar? Other Questions Also

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 19 Sep 2013 , 3:19pm by whiteangel

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 10

I want to use the chocolate version of the WASC as it is very good but don't want it to be as sweet as I will be filling with Pecan/Coconut. 

Can I skip adding all or most of the added sugar and still have the cake turn out okay?

Here is the recipe I was planning to use:

2 boxes devil food cake mix

2 cups flour

2 cups of sugar (can I use only 1 cup or less)

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 2/3 cups water

1/4 cup veg. oil (I will use butter)

3 tsp vanilla

2 cups sour cream

6 whole eggs

This will be for a 12" square cake.  The other will be a 10" round that is the 12-Layer (mine will be 3, lol) coconut Cake. 

Will I need to make the above recipe plus another half for the two 12" square pans?  It is suppose to fill

1 - 12" round  and 1 - 10" round. 

I know having a less sweet cake doesn't make sense but it is for my daughter and she doesn't like overly sweet cakes.  I already have the icing fixed so that it is yummy but won't send anyone into a diabetic coma! 

My experimental cake that I froze for a few days, then filled, crumb coated, re-chilled, covered in bc, then re-froze for an hour before adding fondant.  Wrapped the whole thing and put back in the freezer for a few days, thawed and sampled so see how a frozen cake would do that had been covered it fondant came out so wonderful!  the fondant actually got a bit hard but not as much as I thought it would and no bulging, no air bubbles, no sagging, just perfect fondant!  

Oh, yeah and it was great tasting but too sweet.  The cake itself was too sweet.  It will never work with the Pecan/Coconut filling and that is a must on her list. 

Any and all help will be so appreciated!!!!  Thanks and hugs in advance!!

9 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

I sorta use that recipe but I don't use the oil...and I use 3 cups of coffee instead of 2 2/3 cup water and I use a total of 8 eggs.    

I don't think it is sweet at all.   I would not adjust the sugar if I was you.    My double batch (that's what I call what you have above) makes 1 - 12x12 and 1 - 8". 

whiteangel Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 10

Do you think it is the coffee that helps cut the sweetness??

Oh and 8 eggs?  It is still stackable and holds up to fondant?

ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 10

I don't think the coffee has anything to do with the sweetness.   It enhances the chocolateyness. 

I stack with it and cover in fondant all the time.  

There are two WASC recipes on CC.   One is with oil...one is without.   I use the one without oil and I believe both take 4 eggs (per box).   Not for sure anymore. 

Remember.....taste/flavor is subjective.   What one thinks is sweet...others may not.  You can't always please ever palate in this area. 

whiteangel Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I don't think the coffee has anything to do with the sweetness.   It enhances the chocolateyness. 

I stack with it and cover in fondant all the time.  

There are two WASC recipes on CC.   One is with oil...one is without.   I use the one without oil and I believe both take 4 eggs (per box).   Not for sure anymore. 

Remember.....taste/flavor is subjective.   What one thinks is sweet...others may not.  You can't always please ever palate in this area. 

Thank you for the advice.  I think I am going to go with your advice and use the coffee.  Heck, it is for teenagers who think coffee is the only drink out there!! 

whiteangel Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 10

So can I cut the sugar without changing the cake? 

I forgot that is one of the questions I really did want to know.  I know I cut the sugar (just the white portion) in half when making homemade choc chip cookies and they are still fine.  Just don't know if it changes the texture of cake when doing this. 

For example, on the above recipe cutting the sugar from 2 cups to 1 or 1 1/2 cups.

I am making this cake tomorrow, so need info soon. 

TIA

ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 10

AI know that answer. I don't mess with recipes enough to know the effect of decreasing the sugar. Hopefully someone will be able to answer that for you.

ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 10

AI meant to say that I do not know that answer.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 5:53am
post #9 of 10

Recipes are really chemistry formulas. If you mess with the ratios, you probably won't get the results that you want. 

In this case, you can see that you're extending box mixes by adding equal amounts of flour & sugar.  Those 2 add ins must be equal or you'll have a recipe too heavy on the flour--very unpleasant.  I wouldn't cut the sugar.

I usually make my chocolate WASC recipes with a devil's food or chocolate fudge mix and I use coffee, too--with 6 whole eggs & 4TBSP of oil.  I can't say that I find it terribly sweet--just chocolatey.

whiteangel Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for your help.  Going to leave it alone and add the coffee.  Now to bake one pan at a time, tick tock tick tock, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%