Palmetto Roses In Cake

Decorating By robineta Updated 16 Sep 2013 , 5:19pm by robineta

robineta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robineta Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 3:38am
post #1 of 3

AI'm from the south and we have palmetto trees. The fronds from these trees are used to make these pretty roses when all twisted together. I have a request from a bride to use these palmetto "roses" in her wedding cake. The "stems" on these roses are reeds that are flat but wide, some with a width of up to an inch. How the heck do I get them into the cake without them being too top heavy and fall out? I thought about cutting the reeds so they would be almost sharp and create a triangle point but I am afraid I will jeopardize the yield of servings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-) Cheers!!

2 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:58am
post #2 of 3

AAre you from Charleston?! Sweet grass roses are so beautiful. They are also rather light. Depending on the decoration, I might snip off the whole stem & use buttercream to glue them in place.

I would also try to get her to let me make them from fondant. I would color a strip and fold it just like the flowers.

robineta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robineta Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 3

AI am from charleston! :-) and I would love to make them from fondant but she wants the real deal and is paying for them herself and delivering them to me. I agree with you after holding them that they are rather light. The wedding is outside here in charleston and I'm afraid if I don't insert them into cake that they may not hold up in the heat with buttercream alone. She wants about 40 roses just scaling one side of the cake. If I snip the reeds close to the actual rose do you think they will rest upon themselves too? Taking weight off the part that's inside the cake? Also, thanks for responding! I love these forums!! Very helpful!!! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%