Stacking A 2 Tier Cake - Timescales?

Decorating By misspink6969 Updated 9 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm by texas_mom

misspink6969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspink6969 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone

It would be great if some of you could help me. I have made lots of fondant covered cakes before but never a stacked cake, I’m making a 2 tier stacked cake (strait on top of the other cake, no pillars) and i can find lots of tutorials on how to stack and dowel but can’t find any re when these things should be done.

I am planning on baking the cakes the day before (Friday) and plan on covering with fondant, stacking and decorating all on the same day (Saturday) as i need the cake for 9am on Sunday.

Will i be able to put the dowels in the fondant and stack strait away or will the fondant need time to harden first?

Not sure if it would be better to bake, cover with fondant and dowel the bottom tier on Friday and then stack and decorate on Saturday?  If i do it this way, can you leave at room temp over night or does it need to stored somewhere cooler?

If anyone can help me out with some timing I would REALLY appreciate it. :smile:

1 reply
texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 2

A two tier cake I usually do it all in two days.  One day to bake and let the cakes settle over night and the next day I start early and decorate.  I tend to completely finish a two tier cake with dowel rods and stacked the second day and have it ready to be picked up that evening or early the day of the event.  I don't normally worry about the temperature I tend to leave them at room temp. When I store a cake, I worry more about humidity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%