I'm New To This.... And Really Need Help... Ganache Or Buttercream... And Other Questions!

Decorating By oliversmummy Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm by niniel1

oliversmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliversmummy Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 9:12am
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone,

I really hope that someone out there can help me. I am a mum and we bake and I make the odd cake for family and friends. I am by no means an accomplished baker!

I am planning on making my little boy a batman cake for his birthday, he has asked for a chocolate cake with batman on the top! (Thank goodness I don't have to start sculpting!)

This is where my questions start....

1. I have a fab chocolate cupcake recipe - can I use this for a cake?

2. I'd quite like to white chocolate ganache it instead of buttercream or cream cheese frost it (which is his fave) but need to put the fondant (2D) batman logo onto the top - will this work? Could I also do fondant 'ka-pow' and 'boom' etc signs on the side? Would they stick?

3. I was going to make his name out of chocolate set in letter moulds and stick cocktail sticks/ lollipop sticks into them - then stick these into the cake - is this how you do it and once the chocolate is set how do I get the sticks into them?

And last but not least...

Can I make the cake topper/ boom & ka-pow at the start of this week when I need the cake for next Sunday?

I'm so sorry if these have been asked before or if I appear a little daft but its his first real party and I just want to get it right :grin:

Thanks so much in advance Xx

3 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 11:41am
post #2 of 4

1) I use the same recipes for cupcakes as I do for cakes. I have heard others say some recipes don't work out well but I have never had a problem. Perhaps bake a practice one?

2) spray your ganache lightly after it has hardened with a water bottle and they will stick.

3) lay the sticks on the back and put melted chocolate on there. Hold them or prop them in place until it sets up.

4) you can make your decorations in advance. The only thing I would worry about is the ones that are going on the side of the cake, since it is curved you will not be able to curve the side pieces once dry. But you can melt a glob of white chocolate and stick it on there flat. I think that will be kind of cute.

No matter what you do your son is going to love it and thinks you are the best mommy in the world.

oliversmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliversmummy Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 4

AThank you :D

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 4

I got a cake dummy and cut it in half for fondant decorations that I need to make in advance and need to dry in a curve. I rest them on that (with a good dusting of cornstarch to stop it from sticking) to dry out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%