Candy Melts

Baking By Viccoria Updated 14 Sep 2013 , 11:55am by doramoreno62

Viccoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viccoria Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:20am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone used candy melts to cover Oreos? If so, how many could you cover with a 12oz bag of candy melts? When I did it I could only cover SIX!!! Is that normal??

5 replies
Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

I'd say no.  I'm guessing you're using Wilton's.  Their melts are thick, especially the white and colored.  You could try adding a bit of crisco to thin it out, and you should get more oreos covered with the thinner chocolate.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 6

AI've done that, I had to keep reheating the melts to keep them runny enough. I did quite a few, I know I got more than 6 from a bag.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 6

Just did a cake pop class last night. She used Merken's candy melts and paramount crystals to make the candy coating thin. She made it look so easy...lol

alandavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alandavid Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:08am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viccoria 

Has anyone used candy melts to cover Oreos? If so, how many could you cover with a 12oz bag of candy melts? When I did it I could only cover SIX!!! Is that normal??

Hi,

I got 8 from a bag.

moushii

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 11:55am
post #6 of 6

6 is not normal, nor is 8. I think you can get at least 12 from a bag. The chocolate must be runny, which Wilton candy melts is not. It is thick and hard to work with. If you add shortening, It will help but not much. And if you keep reheating you are probably overheating it which will thicken it.Add Paramount crystals to thin it out. Better yet, use a better quality melt such as Merkins. I never have a problem with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%