How Your Cake Looks From Inside??

Decorating By sprinklez28 Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 8:35am by sprinklez28

sprinklez28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinklez28 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have always seen how everyone including myself, is so concerned about the outer look of a cake. I guess its quite natural as like its said the eyes eat before the stomach!! Everyone desires for a beautiful cake for them.

Recently i happened to visit the website of one of the most talented and lovely cc member Jennifer Bratko's beyondbuttercream.com. I must say i was totally amazed at how beautiful her cakes are, just not only from out side but from inside as well. Never thought of it before but I really felt how boring are my cake looks from inside.

I know by no means i can match her decorating skills but i wish at least i can get some help on how to make a deliciously beautiful cake from inside. 

Thanks

6 replies
CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Sprinklez, just had a look at Beyond Buttercream and yes, Jennifer's cakes are beautiful  But I'm wondering, what is it about the inside of your own cakes that you're not happy with?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 7

Wow thanks!!!

I do it differently because I've gone to one too many weddings where I really wanted one cake flavor but got stuck with another because the bride and groom picked different flavors of cake for each tier.  The problem with that is there is a vast difference in the amount of servings from one tier to the next, which means guests get one flavor or another, and they never get to pick the flavor they want (at least I never have).  But if you think about it, isn't the whole idea behind having multiple flavors of cake so that you actually get to eat multiple flavors of cake?  Because doing it this way, you don't get to.  You just get to wish you had the other flavor!  LOL

So I do what I've called the "His and Hers" cake.  They get to pick 2 flavors of cake with 3 different fillings and it goes in the whole cake.  That way everyone gets the same flavors on the plate and they are never board.  And it just happens to look cool to boot.  

Logistically, it takes a LONG time to build one of my cakes and it took a lot of trial and error to be able to split my batters by not only single cake weight, but 1/2 cake weight, and making sure the different batters bake to the same height in the same pans.  I also make sure all my crusts are trimmed and everything is level and even.  I think it looks bad when you cut into a cake and there is mounds of frosting covering up sloped cake, or the cake layers are totally unevenly split.  Anyway, my price per serving reflects the extra work involved.

Thanks for thinking I'm on to something cool :D  My clients really love it too.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

Haha, I'd just bake the batch and freeze the unused layer but I'm lazy!

I love this concept, and I'm sure your guests just love it too. Inspiration for all of us to think a bit more about what's on the inside...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

I guess I really didn't answer your question...

So for an 8" cake I normally use 2x 2" pans then tort to 1" layers = 4 layers of cake.  Say I want to do 1/2 vanilla, 1/2 chocolate.  That means I do 1 pan of chocolate batter, 1 pan of vanilla batter.  They are complimentary flavors so I just alternate them into stripes after filling. I have done flavors that don't go together at all like lemon and chocolate, in that case I keep the flavors separate with a complimentary bridge filling between the two.  I somewhat overfill my pans so they bake up to the rim.  

I use an Agbay to tort.  Best investment ever.

I always use a quick icer tip to fill my cakes.  It's a big fat tip to help evenly distribute a 1/4" buttercream ribbon between the layers so it helps to not only make sure there is an even amount of filling without thinking too much about it, it also helps to keep the cake level as you build it.

When I'm done, my cakes are 5" tall and pretty level without having to mess with them too much.  It gets tricky if I use a preserves or curd because 1/4" of curd would be a disaster, so I make sure I compensate on the other filling height to make sure the cake still makes it to 5".  

Hope that helps!

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

I use a scale to weigh all my layers evenly.  Its a little step but makes a huge difference.   I love cutting into a cake and seeing a perfectly striped sliced.  It seriously annoys me to have different size layers, and I`m not exactly patient enough to wait for 2 inch cakes to bake so I do all mine in 1 inch which I wouldn`t recommend unless you have multiple pans of the same size. 

And I didn`t connect but I`ve been a long time fan of Scratch`s work!   Beautiful.  I love the idea of the mix of flavours in a wedding cake.

sprinklez28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinklez28 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:35am
post #7 of 7

WOW !!!

Thanks Jeniffer for taking time and giving such a detailed explanation. U are a true inspiration for all of us. No wonder u are the best at your work since u take care of all the aspects of it.

By saying that my cakes look boring from inside i meant that it looks just like any other cake. No specialty or uniqueness to it. But sincerely i never put so much effort into my cakes so it could stand out from the rest. From now on i will start working on it.

And hope to achieve my goal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%