How To Know If Cake Will Be Soggy?

Decorating By cakewarrior67 Updated 21 Aug 2013 , 6:57am by Smckinney07

cakewarrior67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewarrior67 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 1:24am
post #1 of 2

AI had read that while cake is still steaming to wrap & freeze. I did this with a regular box mix plus 1 egg. It stayed in the freezer appx 6-7 hours. I unwrapped it & iced it (did NOT allow to thaw before) with wiltons buttercream recipe. Once complete I get it in the cake box in the freezer. It has been thawing (to be eaten) 7 hours. The icing looks perfect still, but will the cake be soggy on the inside??

I had kept 2 "test pieces" since this was the first time, & wrapped it the same. One was the dome I cut off, the other was a thicker piece. The dome tasted great & thawed fine. The other piece was WAYYY soggy tho. Does this mean the cake will be too? Or would I have already been able to tell by looking at the icing?

1 reply
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:57am
post #2 of 2

AI don't know if your cake will be soggy, but when I freeze/refrigerate a cake I let it thaw partially while it's still wrapped, this way any condensation forms on the foil (I wrap with Saran and foil, then put cakes up, I do this because it's easier for me carve a cold cake).

If you want moisture without freezing try a simple syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%