Flourless Choc Cake....in A Square Pan?? Can It Be Done Without Resulting In A Pile Of Cake Chunks?

Decorating By juliepalangi Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 3:53pm by ellavanilla

juliepalangi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliepalangi Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a WWF wrestling ring using a flourless choc cake (never made one before to decorate). The recipes consistently call for a Springform pan which I understand BUT I am thinking that a parchment liner on the bottom of a square pan may make it possible to turn the cake out like normal? Has anyone tried it before?

Also, I ganache under fondant so I am figuring two cakes stacked, healthy amount of white choc ganache between them to build up height, then cover in ganache, fondant over it, proceed with the decorating etc.

Any opinions on this plan are greatly appreciated!

Julie

6 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 7

AYou can buy a square springform pan. Lots of places sell them.

If you want to try the parchment, you would probably need to put a long strip that overhangs two sides one way, then do it again the other direction (so you have a way to lif the cake out.) personally, I don't know how well this would work, so I suggest experimenting.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

You could try it with a long strip of parchment, not just a square, so the edges rise above and over two sides of the pan. Bake, and then I would refrigerate it. When it is completely cold, lift out of the pan using the long edges of paper as "handles"??

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 7

Great minds....!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 7

i never use a springform because of the water bath leaking in. if you can get the bottom fully covered with parchment, then it should only be a matter of cutting the sides free and carefully flipping it out. 

juliepalangi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliepalangi Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 7

AThank you for all the advice!! I ended up gifting the GF cake to the customer (no way I could have decorated its crumbliness) and making a regular yellow to decorate. She was happy and I was relieved! Next time I will practice bake a week in advance before I agree to something new :)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

it shouldn't have been crumbly. did you use a water bath and cover it with parchment halfway?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%