Color Mist, Airbrushing Or Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Jbunny930 Updated 21 Aug 2013 , 4:46am by howsweet

Jbunny930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbunny930 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Everybody!

I'm making a Broadway themed cake for my best friend's 30th birthday in September. I found a couple of pictures online for inspiration and most of them are tiered cakes with the colors going from light on the bottom to dark on the top.

At first I was thinking I could attempt to airbrush it but that would mean I'd need to purchase an airbrush machine and such (which I don't mind doing and would eventually like to try it). Then I thought about using Wilton's color mists. I've used them before on cake and liked the results but it wasn't to cover the entire cake. Then I thought I could just color some fondant and do it that way. With coloring the fondant, I'm worried that I won't get the gradual color change that I'm hoping to get. So any suggestions would be very helpful!!

Thank you :)

3 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:08am
post #2 of 4

I think you are right. Airbrushing, painting, or using the color mist is really the way to go. The thing with color mist is there is only one shade of each color so you won't get the color distinctions with it. I prefer the airbrush machine or painting it with food coloring.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:00am
post #3 of 4

Could you use a paintbrush and a turntable so that you hold the paintbrush against the cake a spin it, gradually moving up the cake with the brush and diluting the colour of your 'paint' as you go up? Haven't actually tried that but it may work for you? I would probably try it with a fairly soft medium width brush.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:46am
post #4 of 4

If you can afford an airbrush, I recommend just getting one. I don't use mine all that often, but when you need it, you need it. I was kicking myself tonight for not having sprung for the $80 fondant extruder, I could really use that thing this week. I really, really miss the extruder, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss that $80 if I'd bought it at the cake convention a year ago. Now I'll have to pay for shipping...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%