Need Help To Paint Gold On Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By nuzhat Updated 4 Nov 2015 , 4:02am by AmberNada

nuzhat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nuzhat Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I need help please. Im making a 50th wedding anniversary cake. Im not keen to use fondant and want to use chocolate ganache instead.It will be a 3 tiered cake.  But, I want to paint the cake on the sides and on the top tier with gold using stencils. Im worried the paint wont show through or will bleed and be messy. Please help. Thanks in advance

13 replies
btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 11:19am
post #2 of 14

AMix gold powder with pure cocoa butter

nuzhat Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:54am
post #3 of 14

AThanks a lot. I hope I can get my hands on pure cocoa butter. Have you tried this? Its not too messy, is it? Im fairly new to baking and not very confident when it comes to piping and stenciling. Thanks tho, will try it out.

nuzhat Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:17am
post #4 of 14

AHi all. Im back. Cant find cocoa butter where I live. Will royal icing work? Or just plain edible gold paint? Please advise. Soooo confused :~ Thanks in advance

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:21am
post #5 of 14

AUse luster dust, rub some shortening over the area then apply with a large brush like a dry dust. Here's a picture: http://lecakerie.blogspot.com/2011/06/stenciling-on-chocolate-ganache.html

HungryHappenings.com has a Firework cake, they mixed luster with vodka and painted it on. I've tried to do this on plain molded chocolate pieces and it always beads up, perhaps I used too much liquid because they made it work!

I'd do the dry dust method so nothing bleeds. You should do a trial run like they did in the first link.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:30am
post #6 of 14

There are just so many neat tricks out there!

SMckinney, On the flag cake in my gallery I used gold dust to make medallions and I just dusted it on when they were really cold and stuck perfectly.

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:35am
post #7 of 14

AI wouldn't have thought to do that lol, those look awesome! Do you remember the name of the shade you used? The gold is a much deeper, lush looking color then mine.

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:09am
post #8 of 14

Old gold by CK. I just happened to have it out..lol

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:17am
post #9 of 14

AI am so excited, I actually ordered that one last week! I'm so happy it's the color I was looking for. I'm easily amused ;)

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 14

My local cake store is so great....they have endless colors of shimmer and disco dusts so I never have to order that stuff. Same with gel and powdered food colors. They sell a brand named spectrum which I have never heard of but it works great. I want to try the Americolors though because I have heard so much about them. I'm just going to wait until I run low on what I have which will be awhile.

nuzhat Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 14

AThank you, thank you sooo much for all the ideas and link. Really a huge help. Will definitely do a trial run first

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 14

ABatterUp: I wish I had a local cake store! I have to order everything so I usually wait until I need several things or order in bulk. I get in trouble though when I do get to visit supply stores, I can walk around for hours :)

Nuzhat: Your welcome! Hope it turns out well for you

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 14

ASo convenient. It is literally 5 min from my front door and they have everything I need most times as well as a nice sized candy making section and beer and wine making stuff!

AmberNada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberNada Posted 4 Nov 2015 , 4:02am
post #14 of 14

Would love to see how this turned out.  I am wanting to paint chocolate ganache myself

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%