Can Someone Consult Me In Private?

Lounge By kaylawaylalayla Updated 22 Aug 2013 , 9:02am by Nadiaa

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 11:30pm
post #61 of 65

Where I live, "traditional" bakeries merchandise 90% of their cases in items like Kayla wants to sell.  They sell basic 8" cakes also, but no specialty or novelty cakes. (And they probably do sheet cakes as well).  Bakeries have been making it on that concept for decades before the modern fondant/figural type cake came into vogue.

I see no problem with it, because if a store that sells only cupcakes, or bagels or muffins can make it, why couldn't a broader dessert concept make it?

Liz

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:11am
post #62 of 65

ok so ive been thinking about what Jason said, since we plan on making our own chocolate, maybe that would be a good way to brand and get our name and product out there. we can make our own chocolate from bean to bar and be a supplier to local restaurants and do whole sale bars and what not. the benefit would be for the restaurants to be buying from a local?

idk, does this seem ridiculous? maybe I have been up too late.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:52am
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Like how much money should you have saved going in

Enough to cover all equipment, and all monthly bills for minimum 6 months. (rent, insurance, utilities, ingredients, advertising, salaries, etc)

New businesses take quite a long time to become profitable in many cases.

Do you have a cottage food law in your state?

As far as gelato and pastries, they are actually quite a popular, and successful, dessert bar concept.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:59am
post #64 of 65

I think we do have cfl in fl, but we wont be doing it here. we are thinking south Carolina. if we were to do anything from a home liscensed business it would be in 2 or 3 years from now.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 9:02am
post #65 of 65

AI think it's a gorgeous idea and I think if you're expanding your potential market to include restaurants/coffee shops as well as a retail shop front for walk ins you're onto a winner. I have many friends who would order specialty pastries for dinner parties etc. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%