I'm Getting Discouraged...

Lounge By SweetBees Updated 19 Nov 2013 , 3:27pm by NurseDolly

SweetBees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:14pm
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Btw I like your cakes and I think you have talent. Check out what the skill level is amongst your local competition and you may find you can already match what is out there, and even better it. But you have to charge a real price, remember that you are not your customer, and it may be that your friends and family aren't either. Not everyone can afford a custom cake, but there are people who can and those are the customers you need to target.

Thank you for the compliment. :) My plan was to build up a portfolio and apply for a small business loan. I then wanted to open a bakery that offered everything from cupcakes to breads (because I am a great baker, family recipes passed down from generation after generation). The decorating aspect was going to be secondary to the actual bakery. There is nothing like this in my town at all. We had one bakery that thrived for many years but it finally closed down because the owner passed away. No one else has attempted to open a bakery since then.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:25pm
post #32 of 71

Check out your local cottage food laws. There are many successful cakers who operate legally, making good money selling from home. Look at the photos on here from the more experienced bakers and learn how to photograph your product...a nice cake stand always helps...and I know where to find one icon_lol.gif I just seen at Michael's today presentation boards for $5. Set your cake in front of one with matching linen underneath for nice photos. Use either fondant on your cake board or floral foil. Not tinfoil...It's great to have a big dream but there is no reason you cannot start building your reputation now. Actually you already have...as the cheap cake lady. A hard rep to shake once you earned it.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:38pm
post #33 of 71

AYou may want to check out this Facebook page of people campaigning to get a cottage food law passed in Alabama.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alabama-Cottage-Food-Law-Information/405420722884274

It seems that you may be operating illegally at this moment, which you really do need to stop if you intend to do this seriously.

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:53pm
post #34 of 71

AWhy don't I see any photos?

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:54pm
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

I think you have a lot of talent!!!! I l think your cakes are cute and they will only get better the more you practice!!!  For someone who has not done cakes very long I think your cakes look fine!!! If where you live no one has a bakery now would be a great time to get your business license and get legal. I am sure you will do fine at it!!! Good luck!!

Thank you so much. :) I'm taking all the advice you guys are giving to heart.

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:56pm
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Check out your local cottage food laws. There are many successful cakers who operate legally, making good money selling from home. Look at the photos on here from the more experienced bakers and learn how to photograph your product...a nice cake stand always helps...and I know where to find one icon_lol.gif I just seen at Michael's today presentation boards for $5. Set your cake in front of one with matching linen underneath for nice photos. Use either fondant on your cake board or floral foil. Not tinfoil...It's great to have a big dream but there is no reason you cannot start building your reputation now. Actually you already have...as the cheap cake lady. A hard rep to shake once you earned it.

Thanks for the pointers.

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:57pm
post #37 of 71
Quote:

You may want to check out this Facebook page of people campaigning to get a cottage food law passed in Alabama.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alabama-Cottage-Food-Law-Information/405420722884274

It seems that you may be operating illegally at this moment, which you really do need to stop if you intend to do this seriously.

I'm checking this out, thank you.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:59pm
post #38 of 71

Ok, I'm going to offer my very honest advice.

For someone new to the craft, I would say you have some talent.  Some techniques take years to perfect.  I really do see potential.

For someone owning or operating a business, I would say stop right now.  Stop until you can at least smoothly ice a cake.  You are not yet ready to ask for a business loan.  Read everything you can about starting a business.  Before you even think of starting one, write a business plan.  There are plenty of colleges in Alabama.  If you are close to one, enroll in a intro to business class.  Many community colleges offer continuing education classes that would be very beneficial.

I would recommend practice practice and more practice.  Watch all the classes you can.  If you have an ICES group in your area, join.  Make friends and trade skills.

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:02pm
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegin 

Why don't I see any photos?

I should have photos posted to my profile? I'm not sure how to post any to the thread, I mainly read things and lurk around here, so I'm still relatively new to the forums.

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:04pm
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

For someone new to the craft, I would say you have some talent.  Some techniques take years to perfect.  I really do see potential.

For someone owning or operating a business, I would say stop right now.  Stop until you can at least smoothly ice a cake.  You are not yet ready to ask for a business loan.  Read everything you can about starting a business.  Before you even think of starting one, write a business plan.  There are plenty of colleges in Alabama.  If you are close to one, enroll in a intro to business class.  Many community colleges offer continuing education classes that would be very beneficial.

I would recommend practice practice and more practice.  Watch all the classes you can.  If you have an ICES group in your area, join.  Make friends and trade skills.

Thanks for the advice. I've been practicing every chance I get so I can get better. Thank you for the compliment as well. If I could afford to go back to college I would in a heartbeat. :)

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:05pm
post #41 of 71

A

Original message sent by SweetBees

I should have photos posted to my profile? I'm not sure how to post any to the thread, I mainly read things and lurk around here, so I'm still relatively new to the forums.

Yeah I figured it out. Lol

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:07pm
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegin 

Yeah I figured it out. Lol

:) It took me a while to figure out how to even upload a photo lol. 

SweetBees Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:12pm
post #43 of 71
Quote:

You may want to check out this Facebook page of people campaigning to get a cottage food law passed in Alabama.

Thank you for the link! That is some great info. I've researched the laws in the state and the county, and it's perfectly legal for me to prepare cakes for other people if they're only buying the supplies. If I start charging to profit from my time then I have to get a permit and must be servsafe certified. I don't plan to actually try and profit until I'm satisfied completely with my skills. 

BatterUpCake Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:42pm
post #44 of 71

I'm pretty sure receiving any compensation...even if only for ingredients is not legal. How much do you bill for a TBSP of baking powder? A Tsp of vanilla? However it does appear you can sell at Farmer's Markets. http://www.fma.alabama.gov/HomeProc.aspx

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:42am
post #45 of 71

For the most part, your fondant cakes look fine (with the exception of unfinished corrugated cardboard circles — use cake drums or cover with Wilton fanci foil).

You need experience with basic buttercream skills; smooth icing, leaves, writing, piping, borders, roses. There's a chocolate on chocolate cake for Beverly that showcases an advanced reverse shell border technique — is it a store-bought cake? It doesn't appear to be made by the same decorator, IMO.

I made some videos that may be helpful — click on the link on my signature line.

(I also cannot believe your prices and can't understand why anyone would want to do all that work for one or two twenty dollar bills — plain-iced, undecorated cakes were worth more than that in the 1980s. If/when you're going to sell, please consider pricing at a minimum starting price of $3.00 per serving—no matter where you live!)

SweetBees Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:27am
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited 

For the most part, your fondant cakes look fine (with the exception of unfinished corrugated cardboard circles — use cake drums or cover with Wilton fanci foil). You need experience with basic buttercream skills; smooth icing, leaves, writing, piping, borders, roses. There's a chocolate on chocolate cake for Beverly that showcases an advanced reverse shell border technique — is it a store-bought cake? It doesn't appear to be made by the same decorator, IMO. I made some videos that may be helpful — click on the link on my signature line. (I also cannot believe your prices and can't understand why anyone would want to do all that work for one or two twenty dollar bills — plain-iced, undecorated cakes were worth more than that in the 1980s. If/when you're going to sell, please consider pricing at a minimum starting price of $3.00 per serving—no matter where you live!)

No, none of my cakes were store bought. I made the Beverly cake, just like the others - start to finish. The figure on the top is made from fondant and hand painted to give it a comic-strip look. It's one of my most recent cakes, and I've  had more practice. Thank you for the feedback, I have been really working on my buttercream skills as well. I want a well-rounded skillset. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:36am
post #47 of 71

AI'm really glad that you are open and accepting of all the opinions being shared. You have a great attitude. :-)

SweetBees Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:43am
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I'm really glad that you are open and accepting of all the opinions being shared. You have a great attitude. icon_smile.gif

It won't help me at all if I balk at all the feedback, lol! I've never been one to get offended easily. I see all your words as encouragement and help! Besides, how am I to better myself if I refuse to see what's wrong? I genuinely appreciate you guys taking time out to give me feedback and show me the ropes. :)

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:25am
post #49 of 71

AYou are getting some great advise from people who run successful businesses, I do hope you take a step back to do things the right way.

I see improvements in your cakes, my criticism is stated above, that artistically you need to clean up your lines and focus more on details-which will come with practice. You said yourself you're a great baker, it doesn't matter how nice your cakes look if they don't taste good, so you've got the science part down. As long as you have your basic recipes mastered you can move on to the next step. I wouldn't care what anyone said, if this is what you want to do then do it (I'm referring to your 'friend'). As long as your willing to work hard you can do this.

I dig your logo and name, very simple and cute. I understand the desire to jump in and start selling your cakes. I understand how you don't see the harm in decorating for ingredient costs, it seems simple enough-they want a cake, you need the practice, everyone wins...but you really dont! Continuing at that rate (no matter what you tell your customers) you will end up resenting what you do and getting burnout, sorry if I'm repeating someone else. Most importantly you are undervaluing your work and others in the industry wether you realize it or not.

That being said, buy some styrofoam cake dummies. Decorate those to help build your portfolio, this is something I still do! If I want to try a new technique or just feel inspired but don't feel like baking, it's excellent practice. There are many online classes you can take, MyCakeSchool.com is a great one for beginners (she also teaches more advanced things). The woman, Melissa, who runs the site with her mother, had her own business and quit to teach. Subscriptions are $30 a year (that's very inexpensive) she covers the basics, different smoothing techniques, covering a cake with fondant, painting, topsy turvy, etc. all with step by step videos she also has some free blog tutorials if you just want to check it out. Also, Craftsy has a few free classes as well as more experienced techniques from famous Sugar artists. You have many options! Please take advantage of them.

SweetBees Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:27am
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

You are getting some great advise from people who run successful businesses, I do hope you take a step back to do things the right way.

I see improvements in your cakes, my criticism is stated above, that artistically you need to clean up your lines and focus more on details-which will come with practice. You said yourself you're a great baker, it doesn't matter how nice your cakes look if they don't taste good, so you've got the science part down. As long as you have your basic recipes mastered you can move on to the next step. I wouldn't care what anyone said, if this is what you want to do then do it (I'm referring to your 'friend'). As long as your willing to work hard you can do this.

I dig your logo and name, very simple and cute. I understand the desire to jump in and start selling your cakes. I understand how you don't see the harm in decorating for ingredient costs, it seems simple enough-they want a cake, you need the practice, everyone wins...but you really dont! Continuing at that rate (no matter what you tell your customers) you will end up resenting what you do and getting burnout, sorry if I'm repeating someone else. Most importantly you are undervaluing your work and others in the industry wether you realize it or not.

That being said, buy some styrofoam cake dummies. Decorate those to help build your portfolio, this is something I still do! If I want to try a new technique or just feel inspired but don't feel like baking, it's excellent practice. There are many online classes you can take, MyCakeSchool.com is a great one for beginners (she also teaches more advanced things). The woman, Melissa, who runs the site with her mother, had her own business and quit to teach. Subscriptions are $30 a year (that's very inexpensive) she covers the basics, different smoothing techniques, covering a cake with fondant, painting, topsy turvy, etc. all with step by step videos she also has some free blog tutorials if you just want to check it out. Also, Craftsy has a few free classes as well as more experienced techniques from famous Sugar artists. You have many options! Please take advantage of them.

Thank you so much! I didn't think about the cake dummies at all. Wonderful advice. :)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:31pm
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I couldn't agree more! I was going to try to same the same thing, I just wasn't going to say it as well, since that is not my strong suit ;-) KWIM?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:16pm
post #52 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBees 

There is no competition at all in my area, there's only me. Might be true now, but new businesses (both licensed and unlicensed) can open at any time.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBees 

My plan was to build up a portfolio and apply for a small business loan. Portfolios are great to have but bankers don't care how beautiful your cakes look. Business loans are very difficult to get. Even established businesses that are doing well are turned down by banks. And when the economy is not doing well, business loans are almost non-existent.    ...There is nothing like this in my town at all. We had one bakery that thrived for many years but it finally closed down because the owner passed away. No one else has attempted to open a bakery since then. Might be true now, but new businesses (both licensed and unlicensed) can open at any time.  

SweetBees, you are clearly talented and have determination. And I wish you well! But I thought you should know the reality of both securing bank loans and the unpredictable nature of competition.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:49am
post #53 of 71

AI checked out your web page on Facebook, I'm in the process of switching and updating my own so any excuse to avoid working on that ;)

You came for constructive critisim so please don't take offense! But you are actually branding yourself 'The Cheap Cake Lady' it says, "I charge the least amount possible for the ingredients needed and make a very small profit. I love to do this and am not trying to get rich."

The first rule is not undercutting other business' even if your starting out you still shouldn't undercut Kroger, Walmart, places like that-you just can't compare your cakes to that-and that's just considering pricing. Also, it makes the rest of us look bad while devaluing the work you do. I'm not getting rich, I do well-I can always do better. I do make a profit off every cake that I sell. Jason said something along the lines of having to find an entirely new customer base when your ready, you will, or you'll attract customers that you don't want. You have to value your time and what you do if you want others to follow suit! The only reason I am even bothering to say this is because you seem passionate about baking, you say it's a dream of yours and I want you to succeed.

That being said, did you make that dinosaur cake? I didn't see it in your pictures but I did see it on FB, that's what you should strive for! The top of that cake is really, really good!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:58am
post #54 of 71

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

I checked out your web page on Facebook, I'm in the process of switching and updating my own so any excuse to avoid working on that ;)

You came for constructive critisim so please don't take offense! But you are actually branding yourself 'The Cheap Cake Lady' it says, "[B]I charge the least amount possible for the ingredients needed and make a very small profit. I love to do this and am not trying to get rich." [/B]

The first rule is not undercutting other business' even if your starting out you still shouldn't undercut Kroger, Walmart, places like that-you just can't compare your cakes to that-and that's just considering pricing. Also, it makes the rest of us look bad while devaluing the work you do. I'm not getting rich, I do well-I can always do better. I do make a profit off every cake that I sell. Jason said something along the lines of having to find an entirely new customer base when your ready, you will, or you'll attract customers that you don't want. You have to value your time and what you do if you want others to follow suit! The only reason I am even bothering to say this is because you seem passionate about baking, you say it's a dream of yours and I want you to succeed.

That being said, did you make that dinosaur cake? I didn't see it in your pictures but I did see it on FB, that's what you should strive for! The top of that cake is really, really good!

. Oh no! I do want to get rich, and I feel fine saying that. The truth is, you can't get rich of cakes alone, no matter what you charge. There is just not enough time in the day. This rich bakers you see are also merchandising!

And who in the hell came up with the thought that being rich was dirty? Or even making a profit? I love rich people and thank them for every job I ever had, and for my husbands job. I have never worked for a poor person in my life, and don't know anybody who has. There is nothing noble about working your fingers to the bone and still barely making your rent. If that is your lot in life, then so be it, but you don't chose to live like that, and point fingers at the rest of us for wanting better.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:40am
post #55 of 71

You mean you don't bake with love? You don't sprinkle a little bit of sunshine and happy thoughts into every batch?icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sheesh, if making money isn't the purpose of selling, I don't know what is.

helloIamSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helloIamSM Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:03am
post #56 of 71

I think your cakes look awesome! I especially like the topsy turvy cake and the lego cake

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:17am
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

You mean you don't bake with love? You don't sprinkle a little bit of sunshine and happy thoughts into every batch?icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sheesh, if making money isn't the purpose of selling, I don't know what is.

heh, I came across a FB page for a cupcake business awhile ago, she called it sunshine cakes and her motto is "sprinkled with sunshine."

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:25am
post #58 of 71

AWell. I AM trying to get rich lol idk why anyone wouldn't be. It's not the most important thing in the world but this is my career. I treat is such. If caking is your hobby the it's your hobby. That statement on your Facebook says alot. I would change that.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:59am
post #59 of 71

AI am just trying to survive, lol. Not that that has any relevance to this conversation at all.

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:16am
post #60 of 71

Well it's all irrelevant since she can't sell cheap or expensive cake from a home kitchen in Alabama. But how can you realistically say you are charging only for ingredients when you charge $7 for a mini cake? I am not saying mini cakes are not worth that and much more...but ingredient costs for a mini cake are NOT $7.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%