First Time Using Fondant

Decorating By chellebelle987 Updated 31 Jul 2013 , 12:03am by texas_mom

chellebelle987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebelle987 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 3

I am not a big fan of the taste of fondant! So I've never really used it much, have never used it to cover a cake... but a friend of mine wants a cake for a baby shower that is zebra and cheetah print... this is a picture of a cake she found online that she wants it to look similar...

th?id=H.4879917127697597

I am assuming this is all done with fondant.... How much fondant would I need? and did they handpaint the cheetah print?

My next question is? Could I paint on buttercream? Or is that to risky? I live in Ohio, we have rain and humidity in the forecast? I'm just really nervous and need some advice on this!

2 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 3

Ahttp://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-coverage-chart.cfm

Never tried painting buttercream. You could pipe those designs on and smooth them with a foam roller or viva paper towels.

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 12:03am
post #3 of 3

I saw a "How to" do cheetah prints all they took was small pieces of black fondant and place a small piece of pink fondant on top and just smushed it down with the palm of their hand.  Using different shapes of fondant makes the pieces all different. This way you don't have to paint on the buttercream but just place the spots on like you would the zebra pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%