Vegan Cupcake Frosting?

Baking By AusSas Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 2:49am by AusSas

AusSas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AusSas Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:08am
post #1 of 7

Soooo, I've offered to make 24 vegan cupcakes for a friends sisters wedding and I have 2 questions I was hoping the CC community could help me with...

1.  Does anyone have a vegan vanilla frosting recipe that actually tastes good?  I've tried a couple using vegetable shorting and vegan margarine in varying quantities but they taste pretty blah and kind of greasy.

2.  What ball park figure would I (as an amateur baker) charge for said cupcakes, given they are afor a wedding?

Thanks!!icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

AFor vegan cupcake and frosting recipes I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

For the price (assuming you can legally charge for food based on local food safety laws), check out the Pricing Formula link in my signature.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

I have been using nuttalex in place of butter in my buttercream recipe and I don't know how well it would hold up in heat etc but I think it tastes very very similar in flavour to ordinary buttercream.

AusSas Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:56am
post #4 of 7

Thanks, yeah, the one frosting that I tried that was better had nuttalex and copha (the Australian version to crisco, or the closest I can get to it!!) with a higher ratio of nuttalex to copha, it tasted better but was quite soft and I would be concerned about it holding up over several hours unrefridgerated. 

AusSas Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:58am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Jason, those are both really useful and I'm going to check out your blog further!! icon_biggrin.gif

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSas 

Thanks, yeah, the one frosting that I tried that was better had nuttalex and copha (the Australian version to crisco, or the closest I can get to it!!) with a higher ratio of nuttalex to copha, it tasted better but was quite soft and I would be concerned about it holding up over several hours unrefridgerated. 

Must say I hate the taste of copha and always have - I think I am one of the few that hates chocolate crackles. I have used it on a cake to fill and to crumb coat under fondant. I also used it to ice two cupcakes that I made (yep just two - one for both hubby and I) I used icing sugar, nuttalex, a little home made coconut milk and vanilla extract in it. We ate them the next day, he took his to work and the icing held up beautifully.

AusSas Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #7 of 7

AOh coconut milk, that might be nice. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%