Not Sure How To Create This Support..

Decorating By Smkymycat Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 11:41pm by scwright

Smkymycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smkymycat Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 9

I have a lady who wants a cake to look like the picture below.. but a different theme.. I have never made a cake stand like this and not sure how to go about it.... it looks like Styrofoam in the middle..not sure about the angle and how to hold cake in place on the angle..Any and all hints tips would be appreciated.

8 replies
frosting22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting22 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 9

That is a such a great cake!!!!!!!!  Very Cool!!!!!!!!!  (sorry, I can't help you on the support)

sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 9

You want to get a wooden cake board and drill a 1/2" hole in the middle.  You'll use a 1/2" dowel through the entire structure.  For the separators you want to use stiff floral foam covered in fondant cut on an angle with a slightly smaller hole drilled through them (you want a little resistance when you put them on the dowel).  Each cake is on an individual cake board, also with a hole in the middle for the dowel.  Make sure your separators are well supported with dowels or straws within each layer of cake.  Richard Ruskell has a great Craftsy class on topsy-turvy cake construction that would tell you everything you need to know.  Hope that helps!

to zaxaraki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
to zaxaraki Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

for me you were very helpfull!thank you very much!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 9

Of course, the other issue is getting permissions from all the copyright holders.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 9

I have to make a wedge/crooked cake in September. Am I safe to assume the dowels in each tier are 100% vertical when each cake is on it's wedge? I don't understand how they wouldn't slip, unless I cut dowels at an angle top and bottom. I'm not really comfortable with it...I'm guessing I can't use SPS because the pillars would be at an angle eventually, once the cakes are on their wedges??

Smkymycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smkymycat Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

To clarify I'm not using the superhero ideas on the cakes.. it acutally is going to be flowers. However she likes the look of the tiers with the wedges in the center.. THAT is what I'm trying to figure out. I am honestly afraid that the cakes will slide right off of their cake boards!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 9

AThere's a topsy turvy structure thing that cal java says. However I haven't tried it and don't know anybody who has. It sort of looks like that. You might take a look

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 9

A

Original message sent by Smkymycat

To clarify I'm not using the superhero ideas on the cakes.. it acutally is going to be flowers. However she likes the look of the tiers with the wedges in the center.. THAT is what I'm trying to figure out. I am honestly afraid that the cakes will slide right off of their cake boards!

Go to craftsy.com and take Richards topsy turvy class he explains everything, you have to make sure your measurements are correct for all tiers. Take his class and you will know exactly what to do. Its worth the money and in time you'll be an expert at topsy turvy cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%