StaceFaceCakes Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 7:52pm
post #1 of

AHi everyone! I like to give a discount on the wedding cake as a gift to my friends who are getting married. Does anyone do this? And how much is appropriate in your opinion? I have a $900 cake next week and its not a good friend that i talk to on a regular basis. but I do adore her.

12 replies
morganchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 8:03pm
post #2 of

AMy parents,siblings,fiancee,and my one best friend (since childhood) get things free. Did a small discount (like $40 off) for my college room mate. Everybody else pays. That may seem harsh to some but when you give somebody a discount as much as you ask them not to spread the price around THEY WILL. & some of them don't mean anything by it. So that price gets out and it can just get messy. I've seen it.

StaceFaceCakes Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 8:47pm
post #3 of

AI hate to just turn around and give her a check ...but good point about the price spread.

jgifford Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 9:33pm
post #4 of

I had one customer - my first - who will always and forever get his cakes for $50.  Every time I made a cake for him, I told him what it was really worth so he could tell anyone who asked that it was a $XXX cake.  He never had to claim that's what he actually paid for it.

morganchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #5 of

A& especially since you all don't talk often I'm not sure you could guarantee she won't spread it. How much of a discount were you considering?

CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:07am
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceFaceCakes 

And how much is appropriate in your opinion?

IMO, "appropriate" equals the same amount you would spend on a gift.  If you'd normally spend $100, tell them they can choose a $100 discount OR a wedding present.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:35am
post #7 of

A

Original message sent by jgifford

I had one customer - my first - who will always and forever get his cakes for $50.  Every time I made a cake for him, I told him what it was really worth so he could tell anyone who asked that it was a $XXX cake.  He never had to claim that's what he actually paid for it.

I'm curious why always 50 $ lol. And I agree how much You would spend on a gift.

StaceFaceCakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:02pm
post #8 of

I was thinking $200. $100 to cover the cost of mine and my husband's meal/drinks at the wedding, then $100 for an actual gift...

morganchampagne Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:09pm
post #9 of

AOk I see. So you would charge her $700 for the $900 cake? Do I have the correct understanding?

StaceFaceCakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:25pm

Yes!

cupadeecakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:58pm

I have told friends before that I would gift them a free cake for certain occasions, and I think sometimes that gives them an excuse to up the ante on the design, size, etc.  What I do now is meet with them and design the cake they want.  In your case, I would say, well the cake you want is $900, but I would like to take $200 off of that price as my wedding gift to you.  I feel as though when I do it this way it really leaves me in charge of how much I am willing to give, and it can be different from person to person.  I don't think it's inappropriate at all.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:02pm

ABe sure to note the discount on the contract.

morganchampagne Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:34pm

AWell I don't think that's inappropriate. If they are good friends of yours I think it's a nice gift. As long as you tell "this cake is 900 etc etc" like another poster suggested I think it's ok and you probably won't have to worry about price spread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%