Friends From Across The Pond

Baking By manddi Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 10:28am by Snowflakebunny23

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm under the impression that British cake isn't as sweet as cake in the usa. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a couple of friends from across the pond coming for a visit and I want to make a cake for them but I usually use wasc(I'm capable of baking from scratch but most folks around here love wasc. Who am I to argue? It's easier!) and I fear they may find it too sweet.

On one hand I want to make what I normally make so they can taste it but on the other hand I really want them to like it. I was thinking of doing a 2 tiered cake; 1 tier wasc and the other tier using a British recipe. Any thoughts? Any good British recipes? Something that can handle Ganache and fondant?

6 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:24am
post #2 of 7

You are wrong.

British cake and American cake are both umbrella terms. There are sweet and not-so-sweet and overly sweet, good, not-so-good and downright gross in both categories.

Make what you normally make, for heaven's sake! It's a no-brainer.

I travel a lot, and can't imagine how boring it would be if I only ever ate food from 'home'.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:24am
post #3 of 7

You are wrong.

British cake and American cake are both umbrella terms. There are sweet and not-so-sweet and overly sweet, good, not-so-good and downright gross in both categories.

Make what you normally make, for heaven's sake! It's a no-brainer.

I travel a lot, and can't imagine how boring it would be if I only ever ate food from 'home'.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:32am
post #4 of 7

I'm Australian, love sweet, rich cake and find the WASC way too packet mix tasting.

It completely depends on the individual tastes of the people involved.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:45am
post #5 of 7

AAwesome! Thank you both so much!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 11:24am
post #6 of 7

If I ever get to visit the USA, I want to try as many different cakes as possible!!!!!!!

To me, one of the absolute pleasures of travelling is trying foods I may not be used to (OK, so there are probably a few exceptions, but, you know what I mean....)

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:28am
post #7 of 7

It's probably too much down to personal preference to judge...two of my best friends are American (I'm Brit) and they hate American cake but love ours here in the UK!  I'd agree with you and suggest maybe do a two tier...that way they can try some of the local flavour and I am sure will appreciate the gesture with you making that extra effort.  Never know, you may also find that you love the British cake as well and want to use it more often! 

If it helps at all, I made a vanilla cake from the 'cake boss' software and it had nearly twice as much sugar as I use in my cakes normally...personally I quite liked it but my friends and family (guinea pigs for the afternoon) weren't quite as sold.  Lasted for days though!! :-)

Really want to come over and try some of your cakes though...just need a few months off to fully explore the USA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%