When Was Your First Bad Review And How Did It Make You Feel?

Business By bittersweety Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 12:01am by dawnybird

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:31pm
post #31 of 33

A

Original message sent by Sweet_Cakes

[QUOTE name="PinkLotus" url="/t/760904/when-was-your-first-bad-review-and-how-did-it-make-you-feel#post_7415331"] Do guests really complain about the cake at a wedding to the bride?! I find that really hard to believe.[/QUOTE] I had made a carrot cake for someone for her wedding and she said that everyone told her that the carrot cake was really dry...Apparently from what she is saying, her guests are still talking about it. But this was waaaaaaaaay back when, when I didn't think about opening a business and I was just happy to make a cake for a friend for her wedding. I'm very embarressed to say that I had used box mix. Never again. (It was supposed to be moist too...)

if it was a box mix, then I am sure it was fine, not dry, unless you baked the tar out of it.

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 11:45pm
post #32 of 33

yeah, just got my first bad review in 3 years! I kind of don't believe her though. I feel like she was fishing for a refund or a discount.. It was a lemon cake with lemon cream filling, tahitian vanilla buttercream and iced in chocolate ganache.. I do all of my cakes in ganache.. Anyway, she said it was really dry and too dense.. i find it really are to believe seeing as I had tons of scraps since I had to carve the cake to shape it. She said that only a quarter of the cake was eaten. So then, how did everyone try it, if only 1/4 was gone?? makes no sense.. Anyway, a little irritated. 

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:01am
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaun 

My first complaint came when I had a customer who ordered her own baby shower cake.  She kept telling me how much she liked my butter cream icing and kept saying that so many people don't put enough on.  So, stupidly, I thought I'd "surprise" her with putting a little extra on her cake (I'm talking another 1/16" in thickness, not an entire batch on the cake).  Anyway, the next day, I was excited to hear what she thought.  She said, "Um...it was good, but there was WAY TOO MUCH icing on the cake.  Everyone scraped it off and there was a TON of icing in the trash."  I felt devastated.  I "gave" her something I thought she wanted without charging more, since I thought she would love it...also, 2 guests were friends of mine and they said that was absolutely not true...no one complained and no one threw icing away.  I think she was a refund-seeker, but it still made me feel like crap!

I had the EXACT same experience!! I made an Italian Cream Cake for someone and she told me it was good but there was way too much icing and people were scraping it off onto their plates. I knew someone who had gone to the party (small town) and he said everyone was raving about how good it was! What????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%