Fondant Figure With Large Head - Help!

Decorating By loubie lou Updated 9 Jul 2013 , 8:07am by loubie lou

loubie lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loubie lou Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all

I need to make a despicable me agnes figure and I have made the head of of rice krispie treats but as I add the icing to cover it gets heavier. I need to support the head so it does not squash her smaller body and I tried a dowel but the weight makes it go right through the top!

I am on second head now waiting for buttercream to go cold but other than trying a cocktail stick which may not be long enough I am out of ideas...??

Thanks peeps

4 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

AYou can pipe a little bit of melted chocolate into the opening at the top of the head where the stick poked out. It'll act as a stopper to keep the stick from going too far up when it's hardened. I used this trick on a modeling choc giraffe topper that had a big head & a skinny neck. Hth! :)

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

I do most of my larger figurine heads using either a 1 or 2 inch styrofoam ball I find at craft stores.I cover it in a thick layer of fondant and sculpt the details. If I want it entirely edible I use RKT.  Instead of using a lot of buttercream icing to smooth out the bumps of the RKT I use a fine cheese grater and smooth it that way, then use only enough icing for the fondant to adhere to, this saves me a lot of weight.

I use either shish kabob skewers or dowels to connect to the body.

Hope this helpsthumbs_up.gif

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

will the figurine be sitting or standing?

May sound like an odd question, but the solutions lies in the answer.  And which kid you are making makes a difference.

The tallest girl has a thin neck, but the other 2 have wider necks that sort  of touches the shoulders.  

loubie lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loubie lou Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:05am
post #5 of 5

Great ideas - I will try them all no doubt!

It is Agnes I am making and I have made the second head a bit smaller. I didn't have enough notice for weeks of drying out so having to find other ways.

: )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%