Dilemma After Dilemma

Decorating By NoviceBaker911 Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 2:21pm by jlcantrell

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 11:57am
post #31 of 37

A

Original message sent by NoviceBaker911

@deliciousdesserts

I have been experimenting with recipes and been trying to get a recipe that is dense enough but all of the coconut cakes I find are very light and fluffy (by the way it's because the person who is turning 50 loves coconut cake) so I'm worried that it won't hold up to the layering. Am I just being paranoid? Or is the issue [B]really just in the structure and supports? [/B]

Also I had initially intended to crumb coat with [B]buttercream[/B]but I am seeing people say ganache is best under fondant. What is your take on this?

I have stacked some delicate cakes. I use SPS. With the coast system, you can stack anything. It's all about the structure.

Also, I really despise coconut. I so have a really old recipe I can offer. It was perfected by my mother. I, personally, would never taste it. She had excellent taste & loved coconut.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 11:58am
post #32 of 37

A

Original message sent by NoviceBaker911

Thank you for everyone who helped and sadly my iPad wont allow me to insert a picture of the end result but its in my album!

I can't view galleries on my phone. As soon as the baby allows, ill get to the big computer. Can't wait!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:09pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBaker911 

Thank you for everyone who helped and sadly my iPad wont allow me to insert a picture of the end result but its in my album!

you nailed it! Seriously those bottles look real..and the entire cake is just great! Congratulations!

Was the recipient extremely happy?? What sort of cake did you make?

jlcantrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcantrell Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:59pm
post #34 of 37

WOW!!!  It looks great!  If I didn't know those bottles were made of sugar, I would have sworn they were real.  You did a great job!  And, now I may have to mess with sugar now too!

NoviceBaker911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBaker911 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:41pm
post #35 of 37

AThank you so much everyone but sadly the bottles that actually were placed on the cake are in fact real mini Budlight bottles. The ones I had made that are in the photo labeled sugar bottle were ruined the day of by my boyfriend who is worse than a three year old. I told him to not touch them but he proceeded to pick them up as soon as I left the room and when I came back I found a mess with his fingerprints all over them and I refused to have them on the cake because they looked all dull in places due to his hands. I was furious because I had no time to make new ones. Men need babysitters apparently lol or at least mine does.

As for the cake I made a coconut cake from a recipe i had found on a blog: [URL]http://atendercrumb.com/2009/02/southern-coconut-cake-the-cake-slice/[/URL]

I replaced the vanilla extract with coconut extract for a more pronounced flavor, and where it called for 1 cup of coconut milk I did 3/4 of the coconut milk and 1/4 of coconut cream.

I made a coconut buttercream that I crumb coated the cake with and then I filled it with a guava buttercream and shredded coconut. It was a hit and the cake had a very tight crumb which was perfect. It held up great without getting dry or losing shape. I was thrilled!

I give so much credit to the amazing bakers on CC. I personally never realized what a task I was actually taking on. But everyone loved it and it was great hearing the praise. It made it all worth while!

Thank you for all of the help and input I received as well!

cakemom007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom007 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:06pm
post #36 of 37

Very nice good job!

sorry your sugar bottles got messed up that sucks :(

jlcantrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcantrell Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:21pm
post #37 of 37

Even though the bottles got messed up, the one in the picture looks great!  I do agree that most men need babysitters. :)  My husband leaves my cakes alone, but if I have to make cookies for something, I always have to make extra because some will disappear not matter how many times I tell him to leave them alone.  My son (13) has been known to eat the center/tops off of Amish Friendship bread I make to give away and has occasional done the same with cakes.  Hopefully he will learn to knock that off!  So, I very much understand the need for babysitters :)  Again, your cake turned out great even with the bottle switch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%