Dry,cracked Fondant

Decorating By pbcookie21013 Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 8:18pm by KateCoughlin

pbcookie21013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbcookie21013 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 5

first time I had no problems what so ever with fondant, of course it was a very big piece I was working on, but not this time, stored in the frig wrapped in cellophane, till ready to use, microwaved to soften up, rolled it out, stuck to the counter, re grouped, added some corn syrup to it, again rolled it out counter dusted with powdered sugar, stuck again, well I figure third time a charm, but nope, had to roll it up on the rolling pin at the same time "scraping" it off the counter with a spatula, got it up and attempted to put in on the cake, cracks everywhere, the more I tried to fix it the worse it got....I'm not a professional, but geesh to have that much trouble, I made my own fondant, with the marshmallows, Crisco,powdered sugar and water, I think maybe next time, just buying the tub of fondant from wal mart, even though they say it doesn't taste that good, it has to be better than, going trough the other way of failure...yea I looked on the net for answers why it was cracking, sticking and I did everything suggested and it still didn't work....anyone else have problems like this, and what did you do? I had said I would never ever again, but here  am, looking at making my granddaughter birthday rock n roll cake and one for Thanksgiving, am I a gluten for punishment or what? HELP!

4 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 5

Did you knead the fondant till it was a nice elastic ball?  I do not put mine in the frig...just a very light coating of crisco and wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for a few hours or overnight.  Then knead it really well again.  I roll out on corn starch.  I just made a cake yesterday and mine was fine.  Are you using sugar that is cane sugar not beet sugar?  That makes a difference.  I only use C & H which is cane sugar.  Sorry your having such problems with it...icon_sad.gif

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 5

AMarshmallow fondant is hard to work with. I only use it in a pinch. Wilton fondant tastes like butt but is easy to work with. If you can't order satin ice or fondx (or any other good brand), mix your mmf and wilton together.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKConfections 

Did you knead the fondant till it was a nice elastic ball?  I do not put mine in the frig...just a very light coating of crisco and wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for a few hours or overnight.  Then knead it really well again.  I roll out on corn starch.  I just made a cake yesterday and mine was fine.  Are you using sugar that is cane sugar not beet sugar?  That makes a difference.  I only use C & H which is cane sugar.  Sorry your having such problems with it...icon_sad.gif

I agree with all of this ^^^^. MMF is a very forgiving fondant if you knead it very well when incorporating the ps. Don't add too much ps, you want it to feel like soft beard dough, coat with crisco, double wrap in plastic and let sit on your counter overnight. I've never stored mine in the fridge or added corn syrup. I add more crisco if it needs more elasticity and roll it out on a light sprinkling of cornstarch. The corn syrup may be responsible for the sticking.

Don't give up! You can do it!! icon_wink.gif

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 5

I've found that a basic MMF recipe can get too soft on me.  I started using this recipe and don't think I'll ever look back!  It combines the softness of the homemade stuff with the durability of the pre-made stuff with no cracks.  Best of both worlds and it doesn't taste like "butt" lol.  I'm not a huge fan of how any fondant tastes but this is good in my book.  Try it out...   http://artisancakecompany.com/2012/11/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

Also - as others note, I don't refrigerate fondant and have never heard of using corn syrup in any recipe.  Those sound like your culprit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%