Agbay, Or No Agbay?

Decorating By Smash Cakery Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 11:38am by Lynne3

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #1 of 16

So the day has come...I am seriously thinking about ordering myself an Agbay this week.

I currently bake all of my cakes in 3" pans, which is super easy to split, fill, and call it a tier.
But, I am really wanting my tiers to be taller... at least 4". This just can't happen as is, and I have been wanting to start baking my cakes in 2" pans, then torting those layers so that I have four layers of cake, three layers of filling. I think it would slice so lovely, and really give my cakes an extra special element. 

I'm not sure though- this would mean changing a lot of things, and purchasing myself an Agbay.

What do you guys think? Can I get any opinions from those who own the Agbay? I am specifically looking at the standard 20" single blade Agbay.

Thanks in advance!

15 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #2 of 16

AAGBAY!!!! You'll never regret it! Except maybe you'll regret not buying the 2 bladed one! That is the one I have. I love it and show it off like it is my first grandchild, and I have had it for 4 years!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:06am
post #3 of 16

ANot a single regret. Love mine

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:07am
post #4 of 16

Agbay!! I wouldn't want to work with-out mine.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:24am
post #5 of 16

Yes!!  I have the 20" single blade and love it.  i am a hobby baker and not pro, so may be less time challenged, but I have never wished I had the double blade.  It can always be purchased later.  

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:58am
post #6 of 16

Love it...don't know how I ever lived without it. Worth every penny.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:59am
post #7 of 16

AI don't ow n an agbay but it is on my list of cake things to buy....I've heard nothing but good about it. The only complaint I've ever heard about an agbay.. .If you want to call it an complaint is that the agbay works so great that you only use it for a few seconds with each use because it works so good, so that being said I'm saving up to buy a agbay!! ;-)

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 2:00am
post #8 of 16

Love, love, love my Agbay!!!  My husband bought one for me when I retired from my previous career to start my bakery and it makes prepping cakes so much faster! 

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 3:01am
post #9 of 16

Love my agbay!  Worth EVERY penny!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 16

This is pretty interesting! I am pretty handy with woodworking. I may just try toi make one of these for myself.

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 16

I had no idea what an agbay was...so I looked it up and watched a youtube video.  Now, I must say, that is the neatest thing since velcro on kid shoes!!  My family is quite large and I do make a lot of cakes for them...but doubt I will be getting one.  Just a bit jealous of anyone that has an agbay; and kinda sad that I won't be getting one! icon_cry.gif

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 12:40am
post #12 of 16

I have purchased 3 levelers so far. Not happy with any of them. I already spent at least 1/2of what I would have spent on this and I'm still not happy. icon_cool.gif

abgisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abgisme Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:04am
post #13 of 16

LOVE my Agbay!  There is an Agbay Jr. if you only make smaller cakes. 

Newtothis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newtothis Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:15am
post #14 of 16

AI love my agbay but boy is it sharp! Be careful. Do not leave it out for other to touch.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 16

I ADORE my Agbay--best money I've ever spent on a cake tool--and I thought I was pretty good at hand leveling with a long knife--NOT.

I bake 2" layers in my 3" pans.  They bake in the same time as a 2" pan, but come up higher and more even without the mess of collaring pans. 

I set the Agbay to level the tops (not usually much to cut off, though) and do all of the layers at one time.  I then re-set the blade to cut each layer in half.  I come out with a nice 4" tier.

Beware, though, it IS incredibly sharp!!!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:38am
post #16 of 16

It's the best tool I have ever purchased.  Love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%