Storing Cupcakes

Decorating By Jenna1588 Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 12:13am by Jenna1588

Jenna1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna1588 Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 8

AHi,

Whats the best way to store cup cakes? I've got a plastic cake box which is what I normally use but I find the cake feels a bit sticky (if thats the right word to describe it) on top. Is it a better idea to use a metal tin or card box? Really unsure what the best idea is. I normally just make cupcakes with BC on them but have just ordered some sugarpaste, tylose powder etc to make some flowers and other bits so don't want these to go soft.

Thanks in advance :)

7 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of 8

I usually set mine on the counter in the box I am going to deliver them in. 

Jenna1588 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 9:19am
post #3 of 8

I don't currently sell so it would be for home really.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 9:35am
post #4 of 8

AI also store mine in a plastic air tight box and they're fine, I wonder why your's feels sticky? Maybe it might be moisture or humidity?

Jenna1588 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 11:36am
post #5 of 8

My flat is always hot, even in winter we don't really need the heating on, not sure if that has anything to with it. I put some I made yesterday in a sweet tin, they seem better. Its just with reading yesterday that flower paste shouldn't be kept in a plastic box, I wondered if it would be the same for cake. 

Interesting to see what people store them in. You always see cakes in supermarket for sale in a card box. 

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 8

AHmmm, well if the metal tin seems better than just go for that option? Cakes from superstores are always filled with 'nasties' so they will keep better, and plus its cool there. I hope something works for ya!!

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 8

My cakes get a little sticky if I keep them under my cake dome. It keeps them super moist but makes them a bit sticky. If yours are just for home you could go get one cardboard box and keep them in that. My boxes aren't air tight like my dome and any plastic containers would be.

Jenna1588 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

Yeah they are moist but sticky! Well I made some yesterday afternoon, we ate them this evening and they didn't feel sticky at all, those were kept in a tin. 

Cakealicious7 I never thought about the added extras in supermarket bought cakes. 

I just made a polka dot cake tonight and that's gone in a tin, although its only a small cake, it should last a few days without being eaten so I shall see what its like.

Thanks for the advice :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%